Just make sure the server you log-into supports IMAP and you should be all
set.  The virus (trojan, actually) potential is mostly neutralized as long
as you do not check your mail as "root".  Never use the root account unless
you're configuring your system, or doing other things like adding drivers,
formatting drives, etc.  Use your "user" account for normal day to day
things like checking mail.  This is what I was stressing in the other
email.  This is the only one I have run across in 3 years of using Linux,
as compared to hundreds in Windows.

-=>Jim Roland

"Never settle with words what you can settle with a flamethrower."
        --Anonymous