Thanks for the reply Richard,

Ok, maybe it's not as easy as I thought, but I think I could manage to
reconfigure sendmail one way or another if I tried hard enough and locked
myself in a dark room for a day or two. Just to ask a basic question
before I embark down this road though ...

I send a mail to sendmail, say to [EMAIL PROTECTED], sendmail
goes off and finds the ip number of vger.rutgers.edu - the dns lookup bit.
When it has found 128.6.190.2 it telnets in on port 25 and goes through
the SMTP routine to send your message to linux-newbie. Simplified, but
that's the way I've understood it!

So if you compile sendmail with out dns look up, I can see that it doesn't
spend ages trying to resolve vger.rutgers.edu while you are off line - but
when you do dial up and process the mail queue with sendmail, how does
it know where to send it if it's not using dns lookup then?

Ok, my understanding might have a few holes in it, maybe I should fork out
and but this bat book I keep hearing mentioned, but I'd like to understand
things a bit better before I do battle with sendmail.

Ta,

Dan.