Hi all,

I have encountered a problem that I've never seen before, so I'm hoping
that some of you folks with more experience can give me some clues as to
what's going on...

My Linux server runs on a Pentium Pro 180 with 32MB of RAM, a 3c509
network card, anda 2.2 GB hard drive with roughly equal / and /home
partitions, as well as a 128MB swap partition.  As of last week I was
running Red Hat 6.1.  I'm running it as a web, ftp, mail, and telnet
server.

Last week I suddenly found that it was refusing web, ftp, and telnet
connections.  (I didn't test mail connections.)  However, the machine was
still on and running.  Rebooting seemed to fix the problem.  Then the
problem returned a couple of days later.

Although rebooting temporarily solved this problem again, I didn't want to
be bothered with it in the future, and being busy with other projects, I
didn't think I would have time to do a thorough troubleshooting, and since
I was thinking about changing to Mandrake anyway, leaving the home
partition in place I made a fresh installation of Mandrake 6.1 and soon
had all the previous services back working.

Unfortunately, this didn't solve the problem; today it was refusing
connections again.  Most puzzling, when I came to the server room to check
it out, it started (or had already started, possibly) working again.  (All
I did was log in as root open localhost with lynx.)

What might be going on?  (I'll be happy to supply any additional
information that's needed.)

TIA.

Jeff Nelson