Ray,

10 minutes ago the server wasn't accepting connections and now I arrive at
the server's location and it's working again.  So the output I provide
(somewhere below) might be different when it's not actually working.

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> 1. Might it be an authentication problem? If both httpd/apache and
> inetd/tcpd require successful reverse lookups, a problem in name service
> would serve as a common point of failure. Check what the programs are
> requiring in that regard, and check whether there is a problem with whatever
> nameservers the host uses. (If this is the cause, the "refused" messages
> would come only after a minute or more; if they come almost at once, it is
> not a likely source.)

The errors were usually coming almost instantly.

Host name lookups are not enabled for Apache.

Here's the authentication portion of inetd.conf:

# Authentication
#
auth   stream  tcp     nowait    nobody  /usr/sbin/in.identd in.identd -l -e -o

> 2. I assumed before that you had a swap partition. Do you? How big is it?
> Might you actually be running out of memory? Probably not, if you can start
> other processes -- even something as simple as "ps ax" -- locally.

The swap partition is 128MB.  I can log in and start processes normally
locally.  (Once before, when the server was rejecting connections, I could
also log in and start processes locally.)

Here's the output of free:  (Of course, the server is actually working
right now!)
Mem:         30740      23816       6924      31868       8656       4028
-/+ buffers/cache:      11132      19608
Swap:       133016        900     132116

> 3. Might you be running out of some other resource -- file descriptors,
> process IDs? Just fishing here. Once again, if something like this is the
> source, it will affect any attempt to start (almost) any new process, not
> just the net-based ones where you are seeing the problem.

I can create new files and start new processes.

Thanks again!

Jeff