On Sun, 06 Aug 2000,  Charles E. Gelm wrote about,  ethernet not working:
> Howdy, Y'all:

>  alais net-pf-4 off #original: OBTW, what does this mean?
>  alias net-pf-5 off #original: OBTW, what does this mean?
>  alias ne io=0x2a0 irq=10 #<-- added line. ? that's a decimal ten right?

Lawson pointed the problem out on this one.

>  I've compiled a kernel with lots of modules except my boot media.
> I have 'make dep clean zImage zdisk modules modules_install'
> seemingly withour error.
>
>  I see lots of 'unresolved sysbols' when booting.

I tool a look at the URL below, BTW: there are two slaches needed not one
in the address, however you did not define CONFIG_MODVERSIONS i would
advise it, however that is not the problem here, what you can do is define
EXTRAVERSION in the top level Makefile that way you avoid old modules
getting left in the directory /lib/modules/kernel_version_number as if you
define say -1 as an EXTRAVERSION all modules get placed in
/lib/modules/kenerl_version-1, you make another version, call it -2 and so
on.

The other thing i would like to point out is the need to define;
CONFIG_FILTER
under Netwroking Options, it is needed if one wants or needs to use DHCP
and i belive some other network protocols.

> I'm posting my .config file to http:/gelm.net/config.txt
> is case it will help you help me. :-|

Possably this mail will not help you directly, as Ray and Lawson have done
that, but it might help you later on.

O yes, to correct one typo from Lawson he wrote;

alias eth0 ne
options ne io=0x2a0 io=10
                             ^^
should be