On Fri, 11 Aug 2000,  Richard Spencer wrote about,  strange fetchmail behavior:
> Hello,
>
> So I've got slackware 7 up and running. I've built a new kernel,
> installed the latest mutt, and I've got fetchmail collecting
> messages from my ISP, and I'm surfing the Internet with lynx and
> netscape  :-)   I'm sure as I make the transition from
> redhat to slackware I'll have more questions. But first things first.
>
> When I retrieve e-mail, I see portions of each message on
> the console, and hear beeps. Moreover, this occurs on
> every console. For example, if I have mutt open at alt-F3, and then
> alt-F4 and fetchmail, and then alt-F3 back into mutt, I see the
> same messed up screen with the email message-parts, as I saw on alt-F4
> plus mutts screen is totally disfigured.
>
> If, on the other hand, I try this with X running in an open xterm, I
> get only the (annoying) beeps.
>
> Does anyone know what I might do to fix this?

In addition to Lawsons reply, i turn "biff" off with;

if [ -x /usr/bin/biff ]; then
 biff n
fi

in /etc/profile
and my own enviroment in .bash_profile
biff n

After new mail has arrived all i get when hitting enter in a console is;

You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/pa3gcu

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]