Hi All,

We're running CentOS 5.5 (kernel 2.6.18-194.3.1.el5) on two Dell R910
servers.  We're periodically getting CPU overheating messages spit out
from syslogd:

Message from syslogd@ at Fri Dec  3 12:06:56 2010 ...
server kernel: CPU60: Temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled

Message from syslogd@ at Fri Dec  3 12:06:56 2010 ...
server kernel: CPU28: Temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled

Message from syslogd@ at Fri Dec  3 12:06:56 2010 ...
server kernel: CPU24: Temperature/speed normal

Message from syslogd@ at Fri Dec  3 12:06:56 2010 ...
server kernel: CPU32: Temperature/speed normal

The servers are well ventilated in a datacenter, and they both exhibit
the same problem when under load.  I think the fans are working OK, but
maybe these CPUs just run a little hotter than others, which may be
triggering the threshold in the kernel?   Anyone else seen this before?

lm_sensors doesn't work on these boxes.  Any info on why it's happening,
or a good way to query the CPU temps, would be much appreciated!

TIA!