Try running the following code. Load the "msr" kernel module and me sure
rdmsr is installed.  It's available from
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/cpu/msr-tools/ and is simple to
compile.
for a in /dev/cpu/[0-9]*
do
     cpu=$(basename $a)
     printf "%2d: " $cpu
     echo $(($(rdmsr -f 23:16 -p$cpu -d 0x1a2) - $(rdmsr -f 22:16 -p$cpu
-u 0x19c)))
done

That should return the core temperatures in Celsius by reading the
values from the CPU MSRs.  I may have some other ideas for you if what
that reveals doesn't help.

Ryan

On 12/08/2010 02:00 PM, Erich Weiler wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We're running CentOS 5.5 (kernel 2.6.18-194.3.1.el5) on two Dell R910
> servers.  We're periodically getting CPU overheating messages spit out
> from syslogd:
>
> Message from syslogd@ at Fri Dec  3 12:06:56 2010 ...
> server kernel: CPU60: Temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled
>
> Message from syslogd@ at Fri Dec  3 12:06:56 2010 ...
> server kernel: CPU28: Temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled
>
> Message from syslogd@ at Fri Dec  3 12:06:56 2010 ...
> server kernel: CPU24: Temperature/speed normal
>
> Message from syslogd@ at Fri Dec  3 12:06:56 2010 ...
> server kernel: CPU32: Temperature/speed normal
>
> The servers are well ventilated in a datacenter, and they both exhibit
> the same problem when under load.  I think the fans are working OK, but
> maybe these CPUs just run a little hotter than others, which may be
> triggering the threshold in the kernel?   Anyone else seen this before?
>
> lm_sensors doesn't work on these boxes.  Any info on why it's happening,
> or a good way to query the CPU temps, would be much appreciated!
>
> TIA!

Ryan Cox
Systems Administrator
Fulton Supercomputing Lab