Explanation could be the following:
-----------------------------------

This drive does not appreciate initiators that are very unfair at
arbitrating for the SCSI BUS and tells such initiators about by using
unexpected bus free conditions. I can reproduce at will the problem
using a SYM53C896 controller.

An SCSI initiator that is configured as ID 7 has the highest priority with
regards to BUS arbitration protocol. If this initiator starts arbitration
immediately after the BUS FREE condition, then it will for sure win
arbitration every time. Doing so, it does not allow other devices to
reselect and continue or complete tasks.

Result is that devices are just force-feeded with SCSI commands while
their arse is just blocked at the same time. :-)
We should not be surprised if some seem to suffer a bit of such a
situation. :)

By the way, the UNEXPECTED BUS FREE condition is used by devices to report
serious errors to initiator and should not make problems. The behaviour of
the driver seems not normal to me.

Gérard.