[posted&mailed]

Nick Vermeer* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have linux-2.2.6 + raid-0145-2.2.6 patches running on an SMP Dual PIII-500 w/
> 512MB ram
>
> 2 Adaptec 2940U2W's w/ IBM 9.1 Gig 10,000RPM LVD drives
>
> Current config
>
> SCSI ID            Controler Card
> 0                  scsi1
> 0                  scsi0
> 1                  scsi1
> 2                  scsi0
> 3                  scsi1
> 4                  scsi0
>

> Scsi ID's 1+2+3+4 are raid 5'ed  and the two 0's are RAID 1
>
> Here is the problem.. Every three days (give or take a few hours) the machine
> crashes with the following error
>
> May 22 00:45:10 shamu kernel: (scsi1:0:1:-1) Unexpected busfree, LASTPHASE =0x40,
>SEQADDR = 0x15d
> May 22 00:45:10 shamu kernel: (scsi1:0:1:0) No active SCB for reconnecting target -
>Issuing BUS DEVICE RESET.
> May 22 00:45:10 shamu kernel: (scsi1:0:1:0)       SAVED_TCL=0x10, ARG_1=0xff,
>SEQADDR=0x10b

We had the same thing happen last week (with almost the same hardware
you are using). The only difference was that our software mirror kept
the system up and running (though we had to reboot in order to get the second
HD back).

This is from a very old (~ 2 years) message from Doug Ledford on
linux-kernel (see
http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=linux-kernel&m=87602885220096&w=2)

----------------------------8<----------------------------
Known bugs:

1.  A rare command underflow bug with certain brand/model of drives.  This
        most likely won't get fixed without a SCSI bus analyzer.
2.  A rare condition with certain brand/model drives that can cause an
        outgoing command to fail with an unexpected BUSFREE condition.  We
        handle this in the driver, but would need to change the sequencer
        to actually solve the problem.  I've only seen this one once in about
        30 days of hard testing, so it may not even be worth fixing.

I don't know if this bug is still there.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]