On mar, oct 12, 1999 at 10:19:00 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> automatic rebuilds using hot spares without having to roll my own scripts
> to do so

I'm pretty sure software RAID5 will rebuild parity on a spare disk if it
takes another drive off-line

> ability to boot from a RAID5 (though AFAIK, lilo can boot from software
> mirrored partitions now, no?)

Correct.
Note that depending  on the Raid card  and the distribution, you  may not be
able  to boot  on it  without bootstrapping  your distribution  (i.e. debian
won't work with a DAC960 if / in on the RAID array. You need to install some
other distribution, use it to copy an existing debian system, and change the
kernel on the debian partition)

> Not  being forced  to go  SMP just  to give  software RAID  a CPU  to play
> on...what if we find our system isn't SMP stable?  That may not be likely,
> especially with  2.2.x or  2.4.x, but  it was still  a serious  issue with
> 2.0.x.

SMP hasn't really been  a problem with 2.2.x. Most of our  servers at VA are
SMP,  and I  haven't  yet noticed  any  problems that  weren't  due to  some
hardware failure.
Of course YMMV :-)

For me, one big advantage of hardware raid is disk shelves with hotswapping.
Doing this in a PC case is awkward and usually a hack

Marc

Finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP key and other contact information