> > There's nothing (that I know of) stopping anyone from buying Intel
> > Astor/AstorII/Cabrillo-C server chassis and making use of their hot-swap
> > bays without hardware RAID.  The Astor chassis are surprising cheap too.
>
>True, but  a real disk  shelf with dual  power supply, diagnostic  LEDs, and
>some SCSI logic to handle drives that go bad and possibly send crap over the
>SCSI bus, is still better :-)
>
>Marc

What do you mean "SCSI logic to handle drives..."

Generally, if a drive dies, it seems like the HW RAID card is going
to figure out to take that drive offline.  I cant' imagine a failure
that could sabotage the bus.  In the last 2 years I've seen numerous
drives fail and none were non-recoverable for the ICP-Vortex cards.
In fact, once a drive failed, then the hot spare failed!  The RAID 5
array kept running on 2 drives until a shelf spare could be put in.

That server is still in service today.

Chris