On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, [iso-8859-1] Jakob Østergaard wrote:

> With IDE drives, you can (at least on a few newer BIOSes where I've tried it)
> set your drives to ``autodetect'' so that the BIOS won't complain if one drive
> is missing.
>
> Then, with identical /boot partitions on both drives, and the system booting
> on RAID-1, you system will boot no matter which drive you pull out of it.
> No need to reconfigure the BIOS or anything else.

You can configure better SCSI cards to boot from any or the lowest
available SCSI ID.  I don't know what they do though if ID 0 exists but
isn't readable.  My guess would be hang.  Most SCSI drive failures I've
encountered have been drives that are able to be detected but can't
reliably (or at all in some cases) be read.

 Jon Lewis *[EMAIL PROTECTED]*|  Spammers will be winnuked or
 System Administrator        |  nestea'd...whatever it takes
 Atlantic Net                |  to get the job done.
_________http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key__________