On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Marc Mutz wrote:

> > With all those tiny files and a huge amount of disk space, be aware that
> > the latest version of mke2fs seems to "decide on a block size" based on
> > partition size rather than default to 1kb blocks.  I noticed this when Red
> > Hat 6.1 gave me a 2.5gb /var partition with 4kb blocks.
>
> This is of course desirable. 4k is the page size on x86, which makes the
> unified cache in 2.3 (2.4) much faster on such fss. I just yesterday
> converted all my fss to 4k block size. /var grew from 84M to 91M.

That of course depends on what your plans for the partiton are.  If you
plan of having large numbers of small files, 4kb blocks can eat a
surprising amount of your disk space.

 Jon Lewis *[EMAIL PROTECTED]*|  Spammers will be winnuked or
 System Administrator        |  nestea'd...whatever it takes
 Atlantic Net                |  to get the job done.
_________http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key__________