On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Kent Nilsen wrote:

> > With all those tiny files and a huge amount of disk space, be aware that
> > the latest version of mke2fs seems to "decide on a block size" based on
> > partition size rather than default to 1kb blocks.  I noticed this when Red
> > Hat 6.1 gave me a 2.5gb /var partition with 4kb blocks.
>
> Is that only during setup, or even if I say mke2fs -b 4096 -m 5 -i 8192 -R
> stride=128 manually?

It's just during setup and whenever you don't specify a block size.  It's
just that the default behaviour has changed from 1kb to "it depends on the
partition size".

> What should I set the -b size to anyways with all these small files? I believe I
> can save a lot of space by reducing it to 1024 or less, but how will that impact
> performance? Should I adjust my stride= or i= size to match such a change?
> Should I change it anyways? :)

I suppose it depends on which you're more interested in...performance or
squezing as much space as you can out of the drive.  Drives are getting
bigger/cheaper, so maybe 1kb on a big partition doesn't make sense anymore
except in special circumstances.

 Jon Lewis *[EMAIL PROTECTED]*|  Spammers will be winnuked or
 System Administrator        |  nestea'd...whatever it takes
 Atlantic Net                |  to get the job done.
_________http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key__________