Kevin Carpenter wrote:

> Earlier I believe I caught reference to someone else on this list who
> was having problems with resets working on their BP6.  If memory serves,
> they resolved this by upgrading to a 300W power supply.
>
> Alas, I am experiencing the same reset issues and already have a 300W power
> supply in my Supermicro 760A case.
>
> The problem seemed to get a little better with the NJ Bios, but is still
> inconsistant - often forcing me to unplug the unit to reset it.  The power
> off button is virtually useless.  Reset will cause the CD-Rom to blink, but
> thats abit it (other than when it decides to really reset).
>
> This occurs when I do a "shutdown -r" and often when I simply change a
> BIOS parameter and the system attempts to reboot.
>
> Any suggestions?

<power questions> How many drives are you running from that PS?  How
many cards?  What kind of a processor?  </power questions>

I recently had a similar quirky problem with a totally different MB, but
almost the same symptoms.  The cause turned out to be a bad card (or at
least removing the card fixed things).  The card in my case was a pretty
good ISA modem, which worked fine when I could get the system to
reboot.  A power cycle was sometimes required to reset the modem.
Something that I've noted with a couple of ATX cases and boards is that
when pushing the power button does not turn off the computer, holding it
in for a couple seconds (2-5), will turn off the power.  It's best to
let go of the button as soon as the power cuts out, because holding it
in longer can cause the machine to power up upon release of the button.
Most of this was found from a SuperMicro 760A, although some of it works
on a cheap, generic ATX case from the office.
        Greg