Probably because the installer does not handle it.  I have been working on
the Debian end of the same issue, and the problems pretty much amount to
this, based on the current potato snapshot:

1. The kernel has to be patched with the newest RAID v0.90 code and
rebuilt, and then put onto the first install disk ("rescue.bin" in
Debian).

2. The installation root fs ("root.bin" in Debian) does not come with
/dev/md? device nodes, so you have to shell out from the installer,
remount the root fs (ramdisk) read-write, and issue "mknod /dev/md0 b 9 0"
to create a device node manually.

3. The raidtools2 (mkraid, raidstart) are also not available on the
installation root fs, so the raidtools2 must be extracted manually onto a
floppy using "dpkg -x" from the *.deb file.

4. The installation program does not understand that /dev/md? devices are
installable, so it is necessary to run mkraid, mke2fs, and mount manually.

5. Other than that, once the new ext2 fs on /dev/md0 is mounted to
/target, which is the standard place for a Debian install, everything is
standard form that point except installing Lilo.  Since the version of
Lilo which comes with potato does not know how to boot from a RAID device,
the newest version must be installed and lilo.conf edited manually.

It does, however, work once installed.  Obviously, this requires a fairly
high level of expertise to do, and it should be clear from my explanation
why it is not supported at this time.

-- Mike