Mostly because it's (pardon my French) a bitch to recover from.  RAID5 and
RAID0 use striping across multiple disks, which makes manual recovery of
data a real pain.  RAID1 just has two copies of the data, making it real
easy to just turn off one disk, and run from the other.  Running a mirror of
stripes (that is, two stripe sets, mirrored)(RAID10) is ok for recovery
(although still not as easy as a plain mirror), while a stripe of two
mirrors (RAID01) is a real pain to recover from.  Mostly this applies to
software RAID, not to hardware RAID, because I haven't tried (or needed to)
recover from a hardware raid software failure (uhm, where the "software" on
the RAID controller FUBARs).  Software RAID is kind of fun to see if I can
break.  :-)
        Greg