Sven Kirmess wrote:

> I'm playing a bit with Linux RAID and now I have a question about the
> power supply. When I use 3 or 4 modern IDE drives I guess they will
> consume a lot of energy.
>
> Do I need a special power supply like 300 W or what are you using?

A high capacity PS is always good to have, esp. in a high uptime
box.  Having that extra wattage available can prevent power dips
from making things flake out.

> What about "IDE power down when idle"? Can this blow up the power
> supply or crash the system when turning on 4 disks simultaneous?

Doubtful, BUT, Power Management has always been a sore spot for
me, I've had millions of Win PCs croak when they try to "wake"
from their low power mode.  I blame the variety of specs, and
variety of BIOS, motherboard, disk, etc. manufacturers.  In short,
I'd avoid "power down when idle" and similar, if this is a
production machine.

Ed