On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, David Bradford wrote:

> Speaking of power supplies, I've been looking for one for my homemade
> external RAID box. Right now I'm using an old AT PS that I'm sure is going
> to croak any day. Anybody know where I can get a cheap datacase-type
> PS with the on/off switch on the PS itself?

I've used a home made 6 disk raid 5 array for about a year using a
standard AT bigtower case.
These disks are old 2GB 1.6" differential SCSI drives, so not exactly the
low-power type of disks. This worked fine, even with direct power up. The
drives generated lots of heat, but then I used lots of fans to compensate
:)
This was just for a home system, I wouldn't use it for a production
system, but it did work fine. (it still does, but using fewer larger
disks was more efficient...)

--
Tot ziens,

Bart-Jan