Thursday, April 06, 2000, 6:44:49 PM, Ed wrote:

>> Do I need a special power supply like 300 W or what are you using?
> A high capacity PS is always good to have, esp. in a high uptime
> box.  Having that extra wattage available can prevent power dips
> from making things flake out.

What about the quality of cheap 250 W against expensive 250 W power
supplys? Does that matter? Here you pay about the same amount of money
for a good (I think) power supply than for a case with supply. I could
imagine that applications like RAID5 are a real torture, because all
disks have to work simultaneous. Especially if the disks are the same
type.

>> What about "IDE power down when idle"? Can this blow up the power
>> supply or crash the system when turning on 4 disks simultaneous?

> Doubtful, BUT, Power Management has always been a sore spot for me,
> I've had millions of Win PCs croak when they try to "wake" from
> their low power mode. I blame the variety of specs, and variety of
> BIOS, motherboard, disk, etc. manufacturers. In short, I'd avoid
> "power down when idle" and similar, if this is a production machine.

It's not a productive machine. I just don't like inconsistency on a
disk. :-)

 Sven