Thursday, April 06, 2000, 10:08:59 PM, Jakob wrote:

Sorry, but I have to say it. Very, very good HOWTO. Thanks.

>> Why not? I think about power down after e.g. 30' idle time. Not
>> after a few seconds... What's the Problem with RAID? Does it mark
>> all disks as bad if they don't come up fast enough?
> It definitely shouldn't. That would be a bug in the drive if you got
> a read/write failure after power down.

But Linux may have a timeout...?

> On a home system where the disks can potentially be idle for a long
> time, you could probably spin the disks down. On a production system
> where users expect a prompt reply from the system, powering down the
> disks is outright stupid.

Of course it isn't a productive system.

> But I fail to see how this relates to the size of the PSU ? All
> disks must run when you use them, and if you need a 300W PSU to do
> that, you can't use a 150W even if your disks are only in use 50% of
> the day. (Obviously)

I know that of course. My question was more like "Is there a power
problem with a couple of IDE disks?" or "are you running special
supplys?".

I won't create a RAID system and loose more data because of a too weak
supply than I would loose during a disk failure.

> By the way, a lot of modern IDE drives have a jumper setting that
> will delay their spin-up, so you could have your drives spinning up
> only a few at a time to reduce the peak load, even with cheap disks.
> At least some IBM disks has this feature (unsure about others)

But this will slow down the wake process even more and maybe lead to
more misinterpretation of the disk status...?

 Sven