Folks,

My array decided to show me what was wrong with it (see my posts earlier
today). It was a comprehensive head crash which was slow coming on but which
eventually took the disk totally out of action. The Promise card does not even
see it . . . :-(

So no problem, I have 3 of the four left, right? The array was marked [_UUU]
just before I power cycled (the disk was crashing) and since it had been
marked faulty, I was able to raidhotremove the underlined one.

But now, it won't boot into degraded mode. As I try to boot redhat to single
user, I am told:

        Starting up RAID devices: /dev/md1: Invalid Argument
        /dev/md1 is not a Raid0 or linear array

and dmesg says:

        md: could not lock [dev 21:01], zero size?
                          Marking faulty
        Could not import [dev 21:01]!
        Autostart [dev 21:01] failed!

Help!