Thanks for the reply Ingo! Great work you're doing, thanks.

  Ingo> this happens because raidstart looks at the first entry in /etc/raidtab
  Ingo> to start up an array. If that entry is damaged, it does not cycle
  Ingo> through the other entries to start up the array. The solution is to
  Ingo> permutate the entries in /etc/raidtab. (make sure to restore the
  Ingo> original order)

I know this now, but I never would have guessed it before. The error was so
cryptic!!

  Ingo> if you switch to boot-time autostart then this should not happen, RAID
  Ingo> partitions are first collected then started up, and the code should be
  Ingo> able to start up the array, no matter which disk got damaged.

I'm confused. I thought I WAS boot-time autostarting.  RedHat's definitely
autodetecting and starting the array very early in the boot process, but I'm
clearly not entirely properly setup here because my partition types are not
0xfd, which seems to be important for some reason or another. This is what I do
see (with no prompting or intervention from me):

        md.c: sizeof(mdp_super_t) = 4096
        Partition check:
         hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 >
         hdb: hdb1
         hdc: [PTBL] [8191/32/63] hdc1
         hdd: hdd1
         hdg: [PTBL] [8191/32/63] hdg1
         hdi: [PTBL] [8191/32/63] hdi1
         hdk: [PTBL] [8191/32/63] hdk1
        autodetecting RAID arrays
        autorun ...
        ... autorun DONE.
        Freeing unused kernel memory: 56k freed
        Adding Swap: 265032k swap-space (priority -1)
        (read) hdk1's sb offset: 33417088 [events: 00000081]
        (read) hdg1's sb offset: 33417088 [events: 00000081]
        (read) hdi1's sb offset: 33417088 [events: 00000081]
        autorun ...
        considering hdi1 ...
          adding hdi1 ...
          adding hdg1 ...
          adding hdk1 ...
        created md1
        bind<hdk1,1>
        bind<hdg1,2>
        bind<hdi1,3>
        running: <hdi1><hdg1><hdk1>
        now!
        hdi1's event counter: 00000081
        hdg1's event counter: 00000081
        hdk1's event counter: 00000081
        md: md1: raid array is not clean -- starting background reconstruction
        raid5 personality registered
        md1: max total readahead window set to 384k
        md1: 3 data-disks, max readahead per data-disk: 128k
        raid5: device hdi1 operational as raid disk 2
        raid5: device hdg1 operational as raid disk 1
        raid5: device hdk1 operational as raid disk 3
        raid5: md1, not all disks are operational -- trying to recover array
        raid5: allocated 4248kB for md1
        raid5: raid level 5 set md1 active with 3 out of 4 devices, algorithm 2
        RAID5 conf printout:
         --- rd:4 wd:3 fd:1

So, you're saying that the array would have automatically recovered if I had
had all five partitions set 0xfd?

-Darren