On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Darren Nickerson wrote:

> I'm confused. I thought I WAS boot-time autostarting.  RedHat's
> definitely autodetecting and starting the array very early in the boot
> process, but I'm clearly not entirely properly setup here because my
> partition types are not 0xfd, which seems to be important for some
> reason or another. [...]

well, it was boot-time 'very early' autostarting, but not
RAID-autostarting in the classic sense. I think i'll fix raidstart to
simply iterate through all available partitions, until one is started up
correctly (or until all entries fail). This still doesnt cover all the
cases which are covered by the 0xfd method (such as card failure, device
reshuffling, etc.), but should cover your case (which is definitely the
most common one).

> So, you're saying that the array would have automatically recovered if
> I had had all five partitions set 0xfd?

yes, definitely. Not marking a partition 0xfd is the more conservative
approach from the installer's point of view in a possibly multi-OS
environment, you can always mark it 0xfd later on.

        Ingo