[Tommy]
> When reading through this, my first impulse is to say that /dev/hdl isn't
> correct.  When I recently built a raid5 using 3 promise cards, I found
> that in spite of the kernel detecting hdk hdm and hdo, these devices were
> NOT built in /dev.  In fact, I had to dig into the ide header file to even
> find the proper MAJOR node settings for the devices.

I'd think that, but he's still not put out the /proc/mdstat I asked for
multiple times, and the dmesg output he showed didn't have hdl involved
in md0 at all.  I don't honestly believe hdl, if it even exists, is even
remotely involved in s/w raid.  I don't see dmesg output that reports
an hdl (/dev entries not affecting the kernel, obviously), either.

James