On Thu, 11 May 2000, Harry Zink wrote:

> on 5/11/00 10:11 AM, James Manning at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > fdisk to /dev/hdl would seem to be failing because there is no hdl device
>
> There *IS* an hdl device (as well as hdk and hdi), and they are properly
> recognized when the kernel recognizes the IDE cards.
>
> Doens't matter anymore, I'm doing a full reinstall, and new kernel compile,
> and will report findings on that.
>
> Harry
When reading through this, my first impulse is to say that /dev/hdl isn't
correct.  When I recently built a raid5 using 3 promise cards, I found
that in spite of the kernel detecting hdk hdm and hdo, these devices were
NOT built in /dev.  In fact, I had to dig into the ide header file to even
find the proper MAJOR node settings for the devices.

If you have not already rebuilt the machine, I would be interested in
seeing the output of a 'ls -l /dev/hdl' command.

Just some addition input for you..

--Tommy
Disclaimer - These opiini^H^H doh! ^H^H ^Q ^[ .... :w  :q  :wq  :wq! ^d  X ^?
exit X Q  ^C ^? :quitbye  CtrlAltDel   ~~q  :~q  logout  save/quit :!QUIT
^[zz ^[ZZZZZZ ^H  man vi ^  ^L  ^[c  ^# ^E ^X ^I ^T ? help  helpquit ^D ^d
man help ^C^c help exit ?Quit ?q CtrlShftDel"Hey, what does this button d..."