On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Bryan Batchelder wrote:

> Hi guys--
>
>       I am setting up a small server (its an old dual PentiumPro 180 rig),
> and its main job is just serving files.  I want to throw in 3 or 4 30GB
> Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM ATA66 drives.  What is the best ATA66 card to buy?
> Promise?  I have a friend who set up a promise card and he said it kept
> crashing on him (once a day)
>
>       Are there any hardware raid ATA66 cards that have drivers for Linux?
> The FastTrak66 doesn't yet (that I know of).
>
>       How about cheap SCSI RAID?  I have a VA Research box with a Mylex
> controller....anything cheaper?
>
>       I was thinking about buying an adaptec 29160N (the 32bit PCI card)
> and a few 18GB Barracude 18XL drives.  How about that setup?
>
>       I am not so much worried about speed as I am reliability.  But I
> want either ATA66 or SCSI, and if I go SCSI I might as well go SCSI 160,
> right?

        That depends on how much you want to spend.  Personally I've found
that folks around have some nice intel dual-ppro boards w/ onboard SCSI
usually for pretty cheap and they've been rock solid for me.  The only
problem is that they want 168pin EDO ECC DIMMs, which can sometimes be a
pain to get, though I guess you might already have them.
        I'd then probably say software raid w/ the latest raid patches, if
you're familiar enough w/ kernels to not have trouble patching them.

                Stephen