On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Edward Schernau wrote:

> But YES, it's not out of the realm of possibility that a 7 cent
> resistor could make the normal card into a real RAID card.

to counter your NT ws/sv registry example, in the case of RAID we are
talking about tangible hardware where one application requires far
more in components (both quantity and price) and design than the
other application.

if you think any company would build a card with a general purpose
CPU, (at least $15, if not ~$150 for a StrongARM), FlashRAM, DRAM,
disk controller (IDE or SCSI), I/O bus interface (eg PCI bridge) then
deliberately cripple it so that it could only act as a drive
controller then you are mad. :)

repeat after me:

hardware RAID controller == *complete computer* on a PCI card

regards,
--
Paul Jakma      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP5 key: http://www.clubi.ie/jakma/publickey.txt