Paul Jakma wrote:

[SNIP]

> if you think any company would build a card with a general purpose
> CPU, (at least $15, if not ~$150 for a StrongARM), FlashRAM, DRAM,
> disk controller (IDE or SCSI), I/O bus interface (eg PCI bridge) then
> deliberately cripple it so that it could only act as a drive
> controller then you are mad. :)

Not if it sucked - the point is that it could be done fairly cheaply,
with cheap components.  Would you get high performance?  No.  Would
it benefit from doing much of the processing on the host CPU? Sure.
Would the drivers take advantage of it? Uh-huh.

Would Promise save on inventory and fab costs by having essentially
one product?  Yes.

I'm not saying that they DO, or WOULD, but I wouldn't be at all
surprised.

repeat after me:
I'm a know-it-all who likes to flame.
--
Edward Schernau,                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Network Architect               http://www.schernau.com