From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Problem setting up DHCP (RH6.1)
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 22:11:32 GMT

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, The Grunewalds wrote:

>Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 17:20:58 -0400
>From: The Grunewalds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking, comp.os.linux.setup
>Subject: Problem setting up DHCP (RH6.1)
>
>Hi all,
>I'm trying to set up my cable modem for Road Runner and I have a home
>network. My Linux box has eth0 which is connected to my hub and eth1
>which is connected to the cable modem. Upon boot up, the setup of the
>eth1 fails.

I have the same setup, works just fine.  The problem is that from the 6.0 and
6.1 cd's pump is broken, badly.  Get and updated version of pump, here's the
one that is working for me (rpm -ivh
http://packetfilter.dynip.com/pump-0.7.8-1.i386.rpm).  Seems that off of the
6.2 cdrom things work as they should.  Of course this is not the package your
trying to use, but if your willing to switch it should work.

Regards,
Chad

--
                                                 _\|/_
                                                 (o o)

Packet filtering for Linux
http://www.packetfilter.dynip.com/

"...Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT (also known as the Good,
the Bad, and the Ugly)."  (By Matt Welsh)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C.J.)
Subject: Re: Can't install Win98 after I've installed Linux. Help.
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 22:16:25 GMT

I would go with this choice.  From the top of my head, here are the steps
you'll probably need to take.  (If anyone who is reallly comfortable with this
stuff knows better, PLEASE look over the advice I'm about to give.)  Now,
Vincent, before that scares you too much, I want you to know that I think the
worst that is likely to happen is that you have to swap the drives back since
we don't actually change anything unless it boots up ok.

First, lets make a lilo boot diskette.. put in a floppy and as root do:

/sbin/lilo -c -b /dev/fd0 -d 1000
(install lilo on /dev/fd0 and wait 10seconds at prompt before starting)

Next we'll confirm what drives are where...

/sbin/sfdisk -l
(that's a lowercase L, not a one)

If you have one IDE drive on each IDE port, you should see some references to
/dev/hda and to /dev/hdc.  Note what the device name of your new drive is
since it will be the Linux boot/root drive after you swap drives around.

Now go ahead and swap the drives.

Leave the LILO boot floppy in and start up the system.  At the LILO prompt,
type the keyword you chose to select linux followed by root=/dev/hdc1
(assuming your linux drive is now /dev/hdc.)
The keyword is likely "linux" but if you are unsure, press TAB at the prompt.
An example of what to type at the prompt is:

linux root=/dev/hdc1

I am pretty sure you should now boot more or less normally.  After you log in,
edit /etc/lilo.conf and change the drive to the correct device names and run
/sbin/lilo again.  NOTE, don't change the boot=/dev/hda line since you want
lilo to be on the correct location for booting as your system starts.

Remove the floppy and reboot to confirm it works ok.

Log in as root again, insert your floppy again, and make a new LILO floppy
with:
/sbin/lilo -c -b /dev/fd0
(We're doing this since your Win98 install is most likely going to trash lilo
on the drive you're installing it to.  This will give you an easy way to boot
Linux again afterwards.)

Install Win98 and whatever else you are going to do to that drive.

Boot into Linux again
log in as root
edit lilo.conf again and add something like the following:
#Win98 boot
other=/dev/sda1
      label=Win98
      table=/dev/sda

Run /sbin/lilo once more (hopefully the final) time.

------------------------------

From: Vincent Dang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat 6.2 Installation Keeps Crashing
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 16:20:19 -0600

Larry_82 wrote:

> I am currently trying to install red hat linux on a Pentium 90 machien,
> with a 2.1 gig and a 540 meg hard drive, 16 meg's of ram, and an ATI
> Graphics Ultra video card.  I can go through the setup and choose all my
> options, but when it actually tries to install all the packages it freezes
> at 0 files installed and x more to install. My hard drive is doing
> something because I can here it, and I even let it go for a couple hours
> one time to make sure it wasn't just taking a real long time.  If possible
> could you give me some ideas as to what might be making the install freeze
> up.  So far I have tried all of the following:
>
> - Linux native partition under 2.1 gig for the root directory.  (My root
> directory partition is about 1.6 gig's)
>
> - My hard drives are both in LBA mode.  I have also tried installing it
> without the second hard drive (540 Meg)
>
> - I have disabled Video Shadowing and Power Saving in the BIOS.
>
> - The directory structure for the RPMS and base files is correct, and all
> the files are in tact.
>
> I hope this is enough information.
>
> Thanks
>
> Lawrence
>
> --

I had the same problem.  I had to select one of the default "quick" installs
(eg. Workstation or Server class installs) and select all the defaults.
After the initial install, I went back and repartitioned and
"Custom"-installed the way I actually wanted.  The install went smoothly
after that.  There's probably a way to fix this with more finess, but my
system's running and I'm happy.
Vinnie.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C.J.)
Subject: Re: Can't make
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 22:20:42 GMT

>From the Kernel-HOWTO

  3.3.  Configuring the kernel

  Note: Some of this is reiteration/clarification of a similar section
  in Linus' README file.

  The command `make config' while in /usr/src/linux starts a configure
  script which asks you many questions. It requires bash, so verify that
  bash is /bin/bash, /bin/sh, or $BASH.

------------------------------

From: "mnip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to put RH6.2 on end of 27gb HD, install new lilo?
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 22:25:03 GMT

I left 3GB of unpartitioned space at the end of my 27GB drive, and I'd like
to install RedHat 6.2 on it now. I've been learning linux on an old Gateway
p-90, that made it easier somehow :)

The partition setup is:
3GB FAT32 (win9x) with System Commander (which I want to keep),
11.7GB FAT32 (win2k),  11.7GB FAT32 (storage),
2.2GB Free for linux
ABIT BE6 motherboard, 256mb
2 Linksys LNE100TX - have always given me fits with earlier linux installs

How do I install RH best in this setup? Can I get away with one big
partition?
Is a boot partition necessary if I'll have to use the new lilo anyway?

I was thinking I'd use the install-created boot disk to boot in the first
time, then apply the new lilo, is that going to work? (assuming I can figure
out how to update the lilo utility, is there an rpm for that version yet?)
Do I just copy the lilo binary over the old one?

Thanks

------------------------------

From: "Jason A. Cobb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Installing HD, Linux, and Win Question
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 17:35:11 -0500

Greetings,

I am an advance Windows user but I am just starting out with Linux.  I
have a question about the order of which I should start out.  These are
the things I need to do:

- Format 2 gig existing HD
- Format 3 gig existing HD
- Install new 20 gig HD
- Install Win 98 or M.E.
- Install Linux

The Linux distribution that I purchased was SuSE 6.4 with 2.2.14
kernel.  I normally format and start over every year or so and thought
this would be a great time since I will already have to do the Linux and
HD work.  I would probably like to partition the 20 gig into 15 and 5
and use the 5 for Linux.  Once again, I would appreciate the order in
which I should do these things.

Thank you,
Jason A. Cobb
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

P.S.  I noticed that the version of GNOME in SuSE is 1.0 while the Red
Hat distribution came with a higher version.  Should I try and update
that, or is there much difference in the two?  Thanks!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C.J.)
Subject: Re: Large HD's
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 22:29:05 GMT

>From this it sounds like you aren't even doing anything with Windows.  Yes, it
is very possible to do this.  What distribution are you using?  Do you already
have Linux installed on the 10Gb drive?

------------------------------

From: Neven Boric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Font server and XFree 4.0
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:50:36 -0400

Penguin Head wrote:

> Hi all,
> Just installed Xfree 4.0 on Mandrake 6.1 and 7.1. It works fine but when
> I ran a java/swing application I get the following error message:
>
> [bin]$ Font specified in font.properties not found
> [--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
> Font specified in font.properties not found
> [--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
> Font specified in font.properties not found
> [--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
> Font specified in font.properties not found
> [--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
> Font specified in font.properties not found
> [--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
> Font specified in font.properties not found
> [--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
> Font specified in font.properties not found
> [--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
> Font specified in font.properties not found
> [--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
> Font specified in font.properties not found
> [--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
> Font specified in font.properties not found
> [--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
> Font specified in font.properties not found
> [--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
> Font specified in font.properties not found
> [--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
> Font specified in font.properties not found
> [--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
> Font specified in font.properties not found
> [--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
> Font specified in font.properties not found
> [--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
> Font specified in font.properties not found
> [--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
> Font specified in font.properties not found
> [--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
> Font specified in font.properties not found
> [--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
> Font specified in font.properties not found
> [--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
>
> Eventhough the font server starts OK on bootup, it fails to shutdown
> properly at system shutdown.
> Did anyone have such a problem?
> Any help on resolving this matter is appreciated.
>
> TIA,
> PH
>
> --
> W2K, now approaching 23x6 availability
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I use 3.3.6, and I have the same problem when running Jipe, but it
doesn't seem to affect the program's performance. I've had no problem
whit the X font server

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Again : Problem with LinkSys 10/100 Etherfast Lan Card
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 22:44:23 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Kevin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Jul 2000 01:35:56 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> FYI, I have a  Linksys LNE100TX card, and until this morning was
> having the same difficulty.  I read Don Becker's page on tulip,
> downloaded the src.rpm, built it, installed it, and the card was
> recognized.  give it a try...
>
> http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html#rpm
>
> Kevin

I have been having problems getting the same to work on my system.  The
problem isn't recognition it is getting the card to send any packets
out.  My routing table is fine (I have checked and rechecked and had
others check it too.)

Building a new driver from source maybe something to try but doesn't
seem that it is the only solution.  Well hopefully not.

--
"Ancient weapons and hokey religions are no match for a good blaster
at your side kid." - Han Solo

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C.J.)
Subject: Re: How to put RH6.2 on end of 27gb HD, install new lilo?
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 22:51:48 GMT

I'm not familiar with the new lilo, but as long as you can resize things
enought (free up about 10-16Mb) to fit a /boot partition between your 3Gb adn
11.7Gb partition, you could use the old lilo and put your main linux partition
at the end of the drive.  (I'd actually also make enough room for a swap
partition too instead of putting it near the end of the drive.)

------------------------------

From: Bone Head <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Stupid me, forgot to run /sbin/lilo...
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 08:59:53 +1000

Cliff,

The information you got from Andrew below is all pretty good, but, the
problem that you encountered trying to make the boot disc appears to be
the syntax of the dd command.  I have no experience using it the way
that Andrew suggested.

Try instead using the standard -if & -of parameters. eg:

dd -if=<kernelfile> -of=/dev/fd0 -bs=512

When doing this make sure you select the compressed version of the
kernel, (the uncompressed version is usually too big).  That file will
be the zImage or bzImage kernel that you copied from the Linux source
tree to your /boot directory after compiling.

There is an extra parameter (-count) that can be used on the dd command
line, but I have found that it is not necessary in this instance.

I tried booting a machine here with a disc I made as above from one of
the RH6.2 machines I have here.  The machine booted from that disc fine

Good Luck!

"Dr. David N. Haney" wrote:

> "Andrew E. Schulman" wrote:
>
> > > When it rains...
> > >
> > > Anyway, I recompiled my kernel (2.2.16) and in my enthousiasm (I finally
> > > got native support for my IDE controller!) I forgot to run /sbin/lilo...
> > > (Why do you always realise such things at the exact same moment you
> > > press [ENTER] after typing "shutdown -r now"?)
> > >
> > > The worst part is, I had just accidently deleted my boot-diskette a few
> > > hours before (hey - it was late yesterday).
> > >
> > > So needless to say, Linux doesn't boot anymore (get the message "ran out
> > > of input data").
> > >
> > > How can I make a boot diskette? I Or can anyone point me to a HowTo or
> > > other document explaining the steps to take to fix this? I really,
> > > REALLY, don't want to re-install Linux... I am able to boot from the
> > > installation CD, but am unable to mount my harddisk after that). PS: I'm
> > > running Debian/Slink.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > No, by no means should you reinstall.  Here's what to do:
> >
> > 1) Boot from the installation CD, and when the installation menu comes
> > up, press Alt-F2 to get a command prompt (very simple shell-- can't
> > remember its name).
> >
> > 2) Mount the partition that has your kernel in it, e.g. if it's
> > /dev/hda5,
> >
> > mount /dev/hda5 /mnt
> >
> > 3) Make a boot floppy from your new kernel.  If the kernel name is
> > bzImage, then
> >
> > dd < bzImage > /dev/fd0
> >
> > 4) Reboot using your new boot floppy, and rerun lilo.
> >
> > Then keep that boot floppy on hand!  You may also want to have a set of
> > rescue floppies on hand-- go to
> > ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/frozen/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/,
> > download rescue.bin and root.bin, and use dd as above to copy each of
> > those files onto its own disk.
> >
> > Good luck,
> > Andrew.
>
> The LINUX development people need to put in some serious work on LILO.  Nearly
> all the
> problems that I have had deal with LILO.  Unfortunately, I can not get any of the
> "cludges"
> to work for me.  For some reason the above attempt to create a boot disk says so
> many records
> in and so many records out, but nothing gets put on the floppy and it does not
> boot.
>
> I can mount the file system after booting with the install disk and escaping to
> the mini-bash shell.
> If I then make some links to the proper directories, I can even run lilo, but I
> get an error about
> the size of the disk (something over 1000 cylinders or something) which is really
> odd because
> TURBOLINUX had NO PROBLEM creating the LILO dual boot in my first installation.
> It
> only seems to be a problem with the new RedHat Linux.
>
> Does anyone have any other ideas how I can get LILO back so that I can get back
> [...]

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest