From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to config the X-Server??
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 20:19:18 +0800

Dear All,

    I am a newbie to Linux.  Hope that anyone can give me a hand with my
problem.

    After I installed my Red Hat 7.0, I have trouble of starting the
X-Window.  I ran the Xconfigurator and couldn't find a suitable resolution
for my video card.  I am using a Matrox G400 display card (it is a very
common one).  I used every single one resolution in the list and still
couldn't config the X-Server.  My monitor is from CTX and I got select the
model from the provided list.

    What should I do now?  Millions of thanks in advance!!

Mike

------------------------------

From: Stephan Mietens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sawfish sawmill 0.38 gui/gnome/ui?
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 14:11:37 +0200

Hi all,

I have a problem with sawfish 0.38, which capplet is looking
for a file "gui/gnome/ui" in both rpm's and self-compiled
versions. Could not figure out why. Anyone can help?

Greets,

Stephan

------------------------------

From: "Jeroen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: be.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux  on Intel Or Celeron? what is the best choice?
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 11:59:50 GMT

I would either put in a Pentium or a Celeron if it were for server usage.
AMD produces to much heat and uses to much power. And that makes a
difference if you are going to let it stay on 24/7 .

------------------------------

From: Dave Trahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: HP Colorado Streamer / FC 20 Controller
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 08:52:35 -0400

Did you verify that /dev/ftape actually exits?  You may need to MAKEDEV ftape or it
may need to be linked to another /dev device, I am not sure since I have switched
to a SCSI tape drive.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kyle Tucker)
Subject: Changing /dev/sda from FAT32 to Linux
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 13:01:33 GMT

Hi,
        I have a system with Win98 installed on /dev/sda with
all of the disk one FAT32 partition.

  Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *         1       262   2104483+   b  Win95 FAT32

I believe the MBR is there with LILO pointed at it. From a HOWTO I saved
the MBR as it appears.

[root@lin98 /root]# dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr-save bs=512 count=1
[root@lin98 /root]# file mbr-save
mbr-save: x86 boot sector

I have RedHat 6.1 on /dev/sdb and I want convert /dev/sda to a
Linux partition and a new filesystem. I am not sure about how to
retain the MBR or to clean the disk out and reestablish the MBR.
Or if I have Linux-only system, perhaps I don't need the MBR at
all? I just don't want to end up with an un-recoverable system.

Any advise greatly appreciated,

--
- Kyle

------------------------------

From: Lawrence Baldwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
ahn.tech.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,bellsouth.net.support.adsl,bellsouth.net.support.linux
Subject: Re: this is  Bellsouth policy.
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 09:20:46 -0400

I don't think the problem was with people cancelling billing after the fact, but
rather doing a
Helpdesk DHCP registration w/o having done a Bellsouth.net account registration.  E.g.
Billing was
NEVER established from day 1.

lb.
[This followup was posted to bellsouth.net.support.adsl and a copy was sent to the
cited author.]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

--
Lawrence Baldwin
Baseline your FastAccess Connection: http://www.mynetwatchman.com/perfwatch/beta.htm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Changing /dev/sda from FAT32 to Linux
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 13:34:46 -0000

[Posted and mailed]

In article <NoiA6.1063$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kyle Tucker) writes:
> Hi,
>       I have a system with Win98 installed on /dev/sda with
> all of the disk one FAT32 partition.
>
>   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1   *         1       262   2104483+   b  Win95 FAT32
>
> I believe the MBR is there with LILO pointed at it. From a HOWTO I saved
> the MBR as it appears.
>
> [root@lin98 /root]# dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr-save bs=512 count=1
> [root@lin98 /root]# file mbr-save
> mbr-save: x86 boot sector
>
> I have RedHat 6.1 on /dev/sdb and I want convert /dev/sda to a
> Linux partition and a new filesystem. I am not sure about how to
> retain the MBR or to clean the disk out and reestablish the MBR.
> Or if I have Linux-only system, perhaps I don't need the MBR at
> all? I just don't want to end up with an un-recoverable system.

If I understand correctly, you no longer want to boot Windows on this
system; you want to convert /dev/sda to be used entirely from Linux,
using ext2fs (or possibly ReiserFS, XFS, or something else). To do this,
you should do two things:

1) Use mke2fs (or some other utility for another filesystem) to create
   a new ext2 filesystem on /dev/sda1. Note the "1." You're converting
   the PARTITION, not the entire disk. This operation doesn't touch the
   MBR. It will, however, delete any data that exists on the partition,
   so if you want to save some files, back them up first.
2) Use the Linux fdisk program to change the type of /dev/sda1 from
   0x0b to 0x83. This step isn't strictly necessary on a Linux-only
   system, since Linux ignores the ID code, but it may help when you
   upgrade, re-install, or run some third-party disk utilities (like
   PartitionMagic). This step modifies the partition table, but it
   doesn't touch the boot code. There's no need to back up the MBR
   before doing this, although backing up the MBR won't hurt.
   (Theoretically, the sector write could go bad because of a power
   failure mid-write or the like, but I've never heard of such a thing
   happening. A more likely problem is human error.)

Presumably you've got LILO installed on the /dev/sda MBR. This won't be
affected by either of the two above steps, although on general
principles in case of disaster, you should have some way to boot the
system if that MBR gets destroyed. A DOS boot floppy with LOADLIN and a
copy of your current kernel is a good option, but not the only one.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Croxen)
Subject: Re: X on an IBM Thinkpad 365 (oldish) laptop
Date: 9 Apr 2001 13:54:02 GMT

There are various tricks to X in a 365. For starters, you should
absolutely, positively read the following page:

http://www.irisa.fr/prive/mentre/365xd/

There are also 4 other pages dealing specifically with the 365, and
these may be found at: http://www.linux-laptop.net/ibm.html

You can run the 365 X dual-scan at 800X600 and 256 colors. If you are
fortunate enough to have IBM's final bios revision for the 365, then
you can run XFree86 3.3.6   If, however, you have an early bios version
on the 365, you'll need to backlevel XFree to 3.2, and run a tiny program
called "Xcyber" to exit X successfully back to a console.

Re. your black screen at startx --it's probably a black screen with two
horizontal orange lines. When these lines appear, you need to "jump
start" X by issuing the two key combination "Fn F7". If the X server
starts with this combination, then you're in business. If the X server
collapses back to a console, then you'll have to reconfigure, perhaps
back-level XFree, etc.  If you need XCyber, compile it for yourself,
since the precompiled versions will seg-fault on 2.2.x kernels.

I run Slack 7.1 on a 365X maxed out with 72 Megs RAM. 2.2.19 kernel. It
does XFree 3.3.6 and is sufficiently zippy to run KDE 2.2.1 (KDE 1.2, on
the other hand, was too sluggish and I then relied on fvwm2)

Keep plugging. X will eventually work and the 365 is a tolerable little
machine. (I hate the dual-scan, though...)

--Kevin

------------------------------

From: "Berdzi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Backup question
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 16:06:40 +0200

Hello

How to make backup of the linux partition. I mean I want to have an image of
the system partition from which I could fast recover the system after crash.
I'd like also record it on CD-R.
I can only do it remotely as I very seldom have direct access to the server.
Is there a possibility of doing it with tar or dd? I stress that I'd like to
have also bootsector in the image, not only files.
Maybe someone know if Norton Ghost under Windows can do that somehow?

Thanx for help

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen W Boyd)
Subject: Re: lpd stopped working error = 'connection refused'
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 13:43:09 GMT

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001 06:00:32 +0000 (UTC), [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David
Efflandt) wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Apr 2001 19:24:19 GMT, Stephen W Boyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I have an SuSE system.  I had a number successfully installed and
>>working.  All of a sudden the spooling has quit.
>>
>>Here is what I have found out so far.
>>
>>lpd is running
>>lpq returns the error 'unknown printer lp'
>>lpc start all returns the error 'Could not connect to daemon:
>>Connection refused'.
>>You stop and restart lpd all day long with no effect.
>>There are no errors is syslog.
>>/dev/printer is a link to a non-existent file.
>>
>>I suspect that the latter is my problem.  From looking at another,
>>working, system I discover that /dev/printer should be a special file
>>with permissions srw-------.  A named socket I think.
>
>/dev/printer should symlink to /var/run/printer, but I am not sure what
>that is or does.

I know that, but the problem is that /var/run/printer does not exist.
I am guessing that it should be a named socket but I don't know how to
create one.

>>Is this the likely source of my problem?  If so how do I fix it?
>>If not, where do I look next?
>
>First make sure that there is an IP for your hostname in /etc/hosts or
>DNS.  Although, I would think localhost would be sufficient for local
>printing.

There are entries for both localhost and the local host name in
/etc/hosts.

>Does your printer show up in /etc/printcap?  You might check the printer
>configuration in YaST2 or just go though that to the finish to see if it
>re-establishes the printer.

All printers are present in printcap.

>Have you done anything lately with hosts.lpd, hosts.equiv, or any
>firewall?

hosts.lpd and hosts.equiv are empty, just llike they have always been.
Although I did try add local host to hosts.equiv just to see if it
would make a difference.
There is no firewall.

------------------------------

From: Steve Bradley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: netscape 6
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 14:28:09 GMT

Dan,
        THis might not have anything to do with your system, but on mine, I had to
have MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME set to the directory that NS6 was installed in
before Java would work properly.
        Steve

--
Steve Bradley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "ne..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to config the X-Server??
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 14:30:31 GMT

On Apr 9, 2001 at 20:19, Mike eloquently wrote:

>Dear All,
>
>    I am a newbie to Linux.  Hope that anyone can give me a hand with my
>problem.
>
>    After I installed my Red Hat 7.0, I have trouble of starting the
>X-Window.  I ran the Xconfigurator and couldn't find a suitable resolution
>for my video card.  I am using a Matrox G400 display card (it is a very
>common one).  I used every single one resolution in the list and still
>couldn't config the X-Server.  My monitor is from CTX and I got select the
>model from the provided list.
>
>    What should I do now?  Millions of thanks in advance!!
Good question. What resolution do you want your monitor
to run at? What error messages, if any, are you getting?

The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlight of an approaching train.
 10:25am  up 23 days, 10:24,  9 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.02, 0.00

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Suppressing Redhat bootup output
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Haley)
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 14:33:31 GMT

Hello,

I'm running Redhat 6.2 and would like to suppress the output on bootup, such
as "Loading cron.....  [OK]", etc.  All I want is to have lilo say "loading
linux" and then give me a login prompt, though of course I still want all
the programs/processes to run, I just don't want them to output to the
screen.  I checked out the init scripts and nothing jumped out at me.

Can somebody help?

Regards,
Paul

------------------------------

From: "Chris West" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Suppressing Redhat bootup output
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 15:40:07 +0100

If you're using lilo try adding

append="quiet"

to the configuration file (usually /etc/lilo.conf) under the image you want
to be quiet.
Remember to run /sbin/lilo before rebooting.

news:%KjA6.2341$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 14:48:52 +0000

==============55870E7A2CA7274571662124

Paul Haley wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running Redhat 6.2 and would like to suppress the output on bootup, such
> as "Loading cron.....  [OK]", etc.  All I want is to have lilo say "loading
> linux" and then give me a login prompt, though of course I still want all
> the programs/processes to run, I just don't want them to output to the
> screen.  I checked out the init scripts and nothing jumped out at me.
>
> Can somebody help?
>
> Regards,
> Paul

Why don't you want the output?

With output to the screen you can see how
far the startup has come, and in case
something goes wrong you will have a chance
to find the problem.

If you really want to do this change the
console to null in the file /etc/lilo.conf
and run /sbin/lilo. Next time you boot you
will get no output.

See my previous posting for details.

--
Kasper Dupont

==============55870E7A2CA7274571662124

Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 07:19:51 +0000
From: Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Quiet Boot for Linux

Benjamin Scherrey wrote:

> I've got a techno-phobic client who gets concerned when he sees all the
> things going across his screen when linux boots up. This is enough of an
> issue that I'm prepared to go in and build a customer kernel or whatever
> is necessary to make a linux boot appear even simpler than windows. How
> do I get control over what gets to the screen when linux is booting? Is
> there some parameter I can pass while building the kernel to suppress its
> screen output? Perhaps route it to /dev/null or something?
>
>         thanx & later,
>
>                 Ben Scherrey

All you have to do is give "console=null" as argument to
the kernel. The kernel argument can be specified in your
loader configuration. If you use lilo the configuration
is in /etc/lilo.conf. Find the default option and make a
copy, then edit the append option. When the new config
is saved run /sbin/lilo.

Example, if the default looks like this:

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda5
        append="hdc=ide-scsi"

You can change it into this:

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda5
        append="hdc=ide-scsi console=null"

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux-old
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda5
        append="hdc=ide-scsi"

In some distributions it can also be specified when you
install the system, but no need to reinstall just to
change this.

--
Kasper Dupont

From: John Sheehan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Create ext2 Partition from Windows
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 15:04:14 GMT

I am getting ready to run Linux on my handheld, but I have one issue.  I
need to create an ext2 partition on a CF card.  I do not have a CF card
reader for any of my Linux machines.  I can read them from my laptop
through the PCMCIA slot.  However, I run Linux on my laptop through
VMware (it is my work's laptop, they run Win2K), which does not support
direct access to PCMCIA.  So, here is my problem:

How do I create an ext2 partition from Windows 2000?  I have found
projects that allow me to read and write ext2 partitions (ext2fsnt, for
example), but none that allow me to create partitions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: "Kim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: Re: pls help! installation problem on slave hd
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 23:06:57 +0800

Hi, Stanislaw Flatto

I have swap hd and cdrom master/slave, it's work!!
BTW, how to mount the MO which is secondary scsi device,
is it "mount -t msdos /dev/sdb /"? but it's mount somewhere
and want to umount it, type"umount /dev/sdb"  then display
the device is busy. why and what can i do??

thanks!!!

"Stanislaw Flatto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ?????
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi Kim!
> "Me from Barcelona, me know nothing." (Fawlty Towers)
> In "normal" box the BIOS on boot looks for information included in MBR on
> primary interface master IDE0. (You can instruct modern BIOSes to look in
other
> places but if suddenly it becomes sclerotic (battery dead) it defaults to
this).

> You have CD-ROM as primary master, nothing can be written to it.
> Change the master-slave components on primary interface and try again.
>
> Drop a line on results.
>
> Stanislaw.
> Slack user from Ulladulla.
>
> Kim wrote:
>
> > i would like to know can linux install the loader i.e. LILO on slave hd?
>
> Yes, but something has to direct the system to read it there, either
BIOS+MBR or
> booting diskette.
>

> > or is it a must install LILO on master hd?
>
> See above.
>

> > thx!
>
> Welcome.

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest