Linux-Setup Digest #65, Volume #21               Wed, 18 Apr 01 04:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Booting win98 in /dev/hdd1 with LILO? (Stanislaw Flatto)
  Re: What about 1024 cylinder limitation (Stanislaw Flatto)
  Re: sb live help needed (Query_String)
  Re: New system: No Sound (Dave Uhring)
  Re: How do I start gnome? (Dave Uhring)
  Re: YAST2 sets up printers for a4 paper (Mike McCann)
  Re: Booting linux on a robot (Dave Shiels)
  Re: Can't boot off CD (SuSE 7.0) (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
  minilogd : what that ? ("batman")
  Re: xmms quit working (Rob Komar)
  Re: BeOS + Linux + Windows 2000 - Triple boot trouble. ("Eric")
  Re: Partitioning and LILO ("Phil Matthews")
  Lasat Faxmodem and sendfax. (Harald Grosskopf)
  Re: sb live help needed (Dave Csercsics)
  Error after 2.4.3 kernel build (Harry)
  Re: Using LILO and modules.conf for boot hardware profiles? ("Eric")
  Interested in getting started with Linux (interested)
  ASUS A7V133 ("Otto Pichlhoefer")
  Re: Booting win98 in /dev/hdd1 with LILO? ("Eric")
  Re: Partitioning and LILO (David)
  Re: Booting win98 in /dev/hdd1 with LILO? ("Eric")

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Booting win98 in /dev/hdd1 with LILO?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:45:12 +1000

Artabros wrote:

>    Hi!
>     I'm trying to boot windows 98 on slave HDD of IDE Secondary Controller
> (/dev/hdd1). My lilo.conf contents:

>    Somebody knows what is happening?
>    Thanks in advance and sorry for my english!  :P

Hi!
If you can boot Windows by instucting the BIOS to boot from IDE3, then the
BIOS undestands re-mapping.

The numbers that BIOS uses are:
IDE0= Primary master=/dev/hda=0x80
IDE1=Primary slave=/dev/hdb=0x81
IDE2=Secondary master=/dev/hdc=0x82
IDE3=Secondary slave=/dev/hdd=0x83

Your LILO is residing in mbr on primary master, OK, re-mapping should be done
from there.
So:
map-drive=0x83
to=0x80
map-drive=0x80
to=0x83

in relevant stanca in lilo.conf.
After that "/sbin/lilo -C /etc/lilo.conf" (capital C, no quotes).
(Remember to change booting in BIOS to IDE0)

Have fun.

Stanislaw.
Slack user from Ulladulla.

------------------------------

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What about 1024 cylinder limitation
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:59:35 +1000

XAG wrote:

> I try to install linux and windows on the same disk and I have a problem
> with LILO.
> My HD is 20 Go and depending on where is the linux partition I have a
> message about the 1024 cylinder limitation.

> Thanks.

Hi!
Two solutions possible.
a) The lazy one, get "newest, fastest" LILO that is adjusted to industry
craziness.
b) Linux way: with Linux fdisk create primary partition starting AND ending on
cylinder No 1. This will be /boot.
Install Windows, allowing it as much as you want, not the whole reminder of the
drive.
Again with Linux fdisk create Linux extended partition and create in it /
(root), swap,
/usr, /home, /opt to your liking.
Install Linux. (kernel in /boot)

"What was the problem????"

Have fun.

Stanislaw.
Slack user from Ulladulla.

------------------------------

From: Query_String <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sb live help needed
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 04:02:09 GMT

Dave Csercsics wrote:

> I would like to know if it is possible to have all four of my speaers work
> with my sblive under linux...if somebody could explain how to do this it
> would be much appreciated. Currently just the front speakers work. I have
> suse 7.1 professional with the 2.4 kernel installed if that makes any
> difference.

  R u getting sound at all?

  Did you install the emu101k pak?

  There's a sblive section in the suse book I think.

CounterSpam: Please discard any characters after 1 and
before @ to otherwise use normally until date shown.
SuSE-7.1, kde2, Asus-Tx97, i200mmx, 64ram, SbLiveV,
Voodoo3/2k,

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New system: No Sound
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 23:10:43 -0500

Dave Uhring wrote:

> Norman Baccari wrote:
>

>> Howdee!
>> Im hoping someone can shed some light on
>> my situation as Im getting very frustrated.
>> When my old Pentium166's hard drive crashed
>> I decided it was time to by a new system. I
>> had been running linux on this old system
>> for about 4 years going through various
>> vers. of redhat releases with no problems. I
>> had an ISA soundblaster card and no sound problems.
>>
>> Now the new system comes in and I have yet to get
>> sound working. The new system is as follows,
>>
>>  Processor: PIII 733MHz
>>  Memory: 256M
>>  HDrive: 20G
>>  Motherboard: MS6309 VIA694x VT82C694
>>  OS : Windoze98 and Redhat7.0 via LILO boot
>>  Kernel: 2.2.16-22 Aug 22,2000
>>  Desktop: KDE 2.1.0-70x
>>  SoundCard: Creative Soundblaster PCI128
>>
>> On the initial install of RH7, sound did not
>> work right from the beginning. At first I tried
>> to get the onboard VIA sound to work before installing
>> the SB card. Using sndconfig, I got a message that
>> said the via chip set was not supported. Other people
>> had success using ALSA so I tried using ALSA but
>> during the install I got an error message saying ALSA
>> did not support my kernel version. I abandoned the
>> VIA sound and disabled it in the BIOS, and bought a
>> SBpci128 card. I went back to sndconfig and it recognized
>> the card as "Ensoniq 5880 pci128", not a sbpci128 as I
>> might have expected. Sndconfig also said the card was
>> unsupported. I should note that both the VIA sound chips
>> and the SB128 performed perfectly under windoze98.
>> I started looking into compiling a new kernel but when I
>> tried to run either "make xconfig" or "make menuconfig"
>> I got an error saying "no rules for make"
>> Where do I go from here???????
>> Very frustated! Cant hear my trains crash in RT2 :)
>>
>> Thanks !!!!
>> Norman Baccari
>>

> Install the alsa drivers and library.  At boot up run
>
> # modprobe snd-card-via686a
> # modprobe snd-pcm-oss
>
> You can do this either from the command line or put it into a startup
> script.  Not that the driver will be muted until you turn it up with one
> of your mixers.

Sorry, I just noticed that you had tried to add the alsa drivers.  You need
to have the kernel source for that.  You can add the kernel sources from
your install CD.  Or you can download the source for your kernel from
ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.2.  It's not necessary to build a new
kernel, just have the sources present in order to build alsa-driver and
alsa-library.  Building the alsa packages is really easy,

# ./configure
# make
# make install

in each of the source directories.

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I start gnome?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 23:14:10 -0500

ray wrote:

> I could not find gnome-session command.
> It gives me an error saying command not found.
> Could it be because I did not install gnome?
> Thank you
>
> "Dave Uhring" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> ray wrote:
>>
>> > How do I start gnome from fvwm?
>> > Thanks for help
>> >

>> Create a ~/.xinitrc file with the line:
>>
>> exec gnome-session
>>
>> From the console, NOT already in X, run the command
>>
>> % startx

If gnome-session is not found, perhaps your PATH is set wrong.  Run

# locate gnome

------------------------------

From: Mike McCann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: YAST2 sets up printers for a4 paper
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 04:24:58 GMT

I looked at the Yast2 windows that you mentioned, this is the 'current
printer settings' I chose since the other option was for a4 size paper.
With this selection there was no other page size selections other than
one listed under only option.  So, I'm not presented with page size
options

Mike

driver (dj720c): color printing at 600x600 dpi (using post-filter
pnm2ppa -v
720)

only option

------------------------------

From: Dave Shiels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Booting linux on a robot
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 05:04:23 GMT

Sounds like it has a mind of its own. (;->)

Do you have any authentication setup?

Maybe you should just change inittab to start a shell
instead of a login. as a starting place for the runlevel
of choice.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Can't boot off CD (SuSE 7.0)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 05:40:05 GMT

hac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't *want* to run RH 7.0, due to the unofficial compiler version,
> and general history of ".0" releases.  Am I the only one who would
> prefer a 6.3?

Heh.  In the days before I discovered free software, I used
to hold myself to the rule:  "Never buy anything point zero".
But I suppose for the OS, that rule might be of value even
if you aren't paying for the software, because everything
relies on it.  With apps, I tend to go ahead and get .0
versions if I'm not paying much for them, on the theory
that at worst I can go back to what I was using before.
But with the OS that could be a pain.

- jonadab

------------------------------

From: "batman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: minilogd : what that ?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 07:56:15 +0200

I have minilogd on my MDK7.2

minilogd --help do nothing (no help)
man minilogd : nothing to !

I no it's a daemon, but that's all

thanks

------------------------------

From: Rob Komar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: xmms quit working
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 06:53:54 GMT

John Scudder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My distribution is Linux-Mandrake 7.2 with KDE 2.1.1.  Originally I had
> used the RPM installation of KDE but after hearing of increased
> performance of compiled KDE, I reinstalled from tarballs.

> So now xmms doesn't work, it did before with the RPM installation.
> Everything else works soundwise, it is just xmms that refuses to make
> noise...
>
> * I don't get any error messages to guide me.
> * I tried the arts plugin, nothing.
> * It doesn't matter if I run as root or user.
> * I tried changing soundservers in KDE and changing the I/O preferences
> in xmms, still nothing.
> * I reinstalled first the RPM and then the tarball versions of xmms,
> still nada.

> What have I missed?

> John

Try deleting the .xmms directory in your home directory.  It seems that
the config files often don't play nice between the different versions
of XMMS.

Cheers,
Rob Komar

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.beos,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.be.help
Subject: Re: BeOS + Linux + Windows 2000 - Triple boot trouble.
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:05:55 +0200

> Thanks SO much for that info, O Guru.  I'm sure I will find
> that VERY helpful next time I'm poring over a .conf file.

I'm always glad to help you out :-)
If you need more of these extremely usefull tips, please post more
extremely difficult questions.

> >> Unfortunately that won't work for you, because Windoze NT/2000
> >> REALLY wants to control the boot process.  So I think your main
> >
> >No it REALLY doesn't.
> >You've been misinformed. I have no clue on BeOS, but for linux/NT
> >systems you can just as well choose LILO to be your main bootloader
>
> I defer to your professed greater experience in this matter.  Care
> to inform us?  Perhaps a sample lilo.conf and hardware
> configuration?

hda1      : NT
hda-rest : linux
(I've set this up on separate HDD's too, it doesn't matter)

default lilo.conf, for NT add a plain others part:

others=/dev/hda1
           label=NT

And rerun `/sbin/lilo`

I can't tell if every setup will work, but show me your setup, and I'll
look into it. WinNT is nothing special. The bootloader just needs to be
executed by the BIOS. This bootloader lives at the start of the C:
partition.
So point lilo to it, and you're ready to go.

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Phil Matthews" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Partitioning and LILO
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:06:12 +0100

"David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
<Snip>
> One question about the distro just for personal info.
> Was there a "Custom" install choice or an option to partition the drive
> and choose what to install during the install or was it more of a this
> is what you get type of deal?

There are two ISO's from which to choose - a large & a small.  Apart from
that it's a 'this is what you get' installation.

Phil

------------------------------

From: Harald Grosskopf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Lasat Faxmodem and sendfax.
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:06:10 +0200

Hello,

i have RH-Linux 7.0 installed and try to send some faxes with my
Lasat560 Modem, it is able to send faxes with Win..., but sendfax means
that it is not a class 2 or 2.0 faxdevice. I already tried to set it in
senfax.conf as a class 2.0 or 2 modem with or without flowcontrol, but
sendfax still means that itīs not a faxdevice.

Bye, Harald.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Csercsics)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 07:17:30 GMT

Yep I figured out how to get some sound and I did read through the docs and
did manage to get everything to work. I don't suppose that there is any way
to make use of the audio environments and things that are on the emu chip is
there? You can under windows but creative's audiohq uses directx so I doubt
that all them funky sound effects would work under linux. But then I still
think that they aren't worth the crashes so I have no intention of putting
the windows back. It can die a long slow death.

------------------------------

From: Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Error after 2.4.3 kernel build
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 07:04:49 GMT

"request_module[scsi_hostadapter]: Root fs not mounted"

...and yet the machine carries on and boots up ok. <confused>
I'm thinking it may be a problem with the order of events in one of
the boot scripts? But I wouldn't know where to look.

It's a slack 7.1 system, by the way.

Can anyone tell me what's happening here?

Except for a Zip250 on the primary IDE interface it's an all-SCSI box,
and I should have thought that making anything modular wouldn't allow
the system to boot at all, so I didn't (and it does). Could it be
anything to do with this "new" aic7xxx driver?

Below are the IDE and SCSI parts of .config:

Thanks,
H.
_________________________

#
# ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support
#
CONFIG_IDE=m

#
# IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=m
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK is not set
# CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_VENDOR is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_FUJITSU is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_IBM is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_MAXTOR is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_QUANTUM is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_SEAGATE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_WD is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_COMMERIAL is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_TIVO is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECS is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=m
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640_ENHANCED is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ISAPNP is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RZ1000 is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD is not set
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_WIP is not set
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_NEW_DRIVE_LISTINGS is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AEC62XX is not set
# CONFIG_AEC62XX_TUNING is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ALI15X3 is not set
# CONFIG_WDC_ALI15X3 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AMD7409 is not set
# CONFIG_AMD7409_OVERRIDE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD64X is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CY82C693 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CS5530 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT34X is not set
# CONFIG_HPT34X_AUTODMA is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT366 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX is not set
# CONFIG_PIIX_TUNING is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NS87415 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OPTI621 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX is not set
# CONFIG_PDC202XX_BURST is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OSB4 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SIS5513 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SLC90E66 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_TRM290 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX is not set
# CONFIG_IDE_CHIPSETS is not set
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_IVB is not set
# CONFIG_DMA_NONPCI is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES is not set

#
# SCSI support
#
CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
CONFIG_SD_EXTRA_DEVS=40
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST=m
# CONFIG_CHR_DEV_OSST is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR_VENDOR is not set
CONFIG_SR_EXTRA_DEVS=2
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=y
# CONFIG_SCSI_DEBUG_QUEUES is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_LOGGING is not set

#
# SCSI low-level drivers
#
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_3W_XXXX_RAID is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_7000FASST is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_ACARD is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_AHA152X is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_AHA1542 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_AHA1740 is not set
CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX=y
CONFIG_AIC7XXX_CMDS_PER_DEVICE=253
CONFIG_AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY=5000
# CONFIG_SCSI_ADVANSYS is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_IN2000 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_AM53C974 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_MEGARAID is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_BUSLOGIC is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_CPQFCTS is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_DMX3191D is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_DTC3280 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_EATA is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_EATA_DMA is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_EATA_PIO is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_FUTURE_DOMAIN is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_GDTH is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_GENERIC_NCR5380 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_IPS is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_INITIO is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_INIA100 is not set
CONFIG_SCSI_PPA=m
CONFIG_SCSI_IMM=m
CONFIG_SCSI_IZIP_EPP16=y
# CONFIG_SCSI_IZIP_SLOW_CTR is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C406A is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C7xx is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_PAS16 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_PCI2000 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_PCI2220I is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_PSI240I is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_FAS is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_ISP is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_FC is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_1280 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_SEAGATE is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_SIM710 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C416 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_DC390T is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_T128 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_U14_34F is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_ULTRASTOR is not set

Thanks,
H.

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using LILO and modules.conf for boot hardware profiles?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:22:06 +0200

> >what does `cat /proc/scsi/scsi` return when you have both the driver
> >for that card loaded, and you have enabled ide-scsi emulation for
> >the CDR. And if you have only one of the two scsi devices?
> >Anything shows up in /var/log/messages?
> >dmesg?
>
> I don't know.  I'll have to check.

post whatever you find out.

> >I doubt it. (Though I'm not sure)
> >But I most certainly have a setup where both a real SCSI HDD and a
> >IDE DVD-RAM (which I use with ide-scsi emulation) work.
> >

> Do you have a multi-device SCSI card/interface?  Or a single device
> like mine?

a multi device. Just a good old adaptec card.

> >Are you sure it doesn't work? Or have you just been unsuccesfull in
> >getting it to work? (I'm not attacking you, I'm just curious)
>
> I would love it if I could get it to work.  But I have basically given
> up on it.  Linux sees it as an unknown/unsupported Creative Labs
> multimedia device.  I have not seen any How-To's specifically for my
> card.  It is an AWE64D.  Before you jump at me that there are AWE32/64
> How-To's, you are exactly right.  However, as far as I can tell these
> are documenting how to set up AWE32/64 card that are ISA cards.  The
> AWE64D is a OEM PCI card.  I tried to make it work using the standard
> (ISA) AWE How-To's but it doesn't seem to know how to talk to this
> card through the PCI bus.  I'm all ears if you know how to get it to
> work.

I went to www.google.com and entered :sound linux awe64 pci
There's some info in the first three hits you get, that you might find
usefull.
(I'm not sure what you tried, did you retrieve the IRQ etc and suppplied
that to the module?)

------------------------------

From: interested <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Interested in getting started with Linux
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 07:30:04 -0000

Hi,

I am very interested in using linux. My plans are to dedicate a new
machine to it rather than dual booting with my current machine. Do you
suggest i build a machine or buy one put together already? I also will
want to dual boot either caldera or mandrake with win2k, is this possible?
what do i need to do to make it work if it is possible? Are their any
drawbacks of doing this? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in
advance.

------------------------------

From: "Otto Pichlhoefer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ASUS A7V133
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:38:28 +0200

Hello,

I want to set up Linux (preferably Mandrake) and use the hardware RAID-0 on
the ASUS A7V133.

Has anyone been successful?

Thanks,

--
Otto Pichlhoefer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:50:08 +0200

> The numbers that BIOS uses are:
> IDE0= Primary master=/dev/hda=0x80
> IDE1=Primary slave=/dev/hdb=0x81
> IDE2=Secondary master=/dev/hdc=0x82
> IDE3=Secondary slave=/dev/hdd=0x83
>
> Your LILO is residing in mbr on primary master, OK, re-mapping should be
done
> from there.
> So:
> map-drive=0x83
> to=0x80
> map-drive=0x80
> to=0x83
>
> in relevant stanca in lilo.conf.
> After that "/sbin/lilo -C /etc/lilo.conf" (capital C, no quotes).
> (Remember to change booting in BIOS to IDE0)

Stanislaw, have you ever tried this?
I ask, because it's wrong. The BIOS will number contiguously.
The first HDD detected (usually hda, but it could just as well be hdb, sda
or whatever)
get's 0x80 assigned. The next one, get's 0x81 whether it's hdb, hdc, hdd or
even sda.
The location is irrelevant as far as the BIOS is concerned.
So if you have no HDD at hdb/hdc, hdd will be 0x81

Eric

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 07:51:54 GMT

Phil Matthews wrote:

> There are two ISO's from which to choose - a large & a small.  Apart from
> that it's a 'this is what you get' installation.
>
> Phil

I have never moved the mount point of more than one partition and it has
been a long time since I did it and don't remember the exact details
involved.

If you are wanting to use the other partitions, you would need to make
the other partitions. Make the proper entries in /etc/fstab Then copy
the directories to the different partitions and mount the partitions.
Then before trying to reboot you would need to run lilo again to update
the MBR.  You may also need to add the other partitions into /etc/mtab
but I'm not sure about changing the mtab file. This may not be the right
order to do it in so be careful.

Maybe someone else can step in and give some advice. I would kind of
like a refresher on how to do it just in case.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.166% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:58:09 +0200

> >>    I'm trying to boot windows 98 on slave HDD of IDE Secondary
Controller
> >>(/dev/hdd1).

This may not be possible.

> >>My lilo.conf contents:
> >>
> >> -----------------------------------------------
> >>boot=/dev/hda
> >>root=/dev/hda1
> >>message=/etc/lilo.msg
> >>prompt
> >>single-key
> >>timeout=60
> >>install=/boot/boot.b
> >>map=/boot/map
> >>vga=ask
> >>disk=/dev/hdd
> >>     bios=0x81

Unless you're sure, don't put statements like this in.
Usually this is only needed when you have a mixed IDE/SCSI
system.

> >>(...)
> >>other=/dev/hdd1
> >>    table=/dev/hdd
> >>    loader = /boot/os2_d.b

Why use this loader?
remove this line.

> >>    label=win98
> >>    alias=7
> >>    map-drive = 0x80
> >>         to = 0x81
> >>    map-drive = 0x81
> >>         to = 0x80
> >>-----------------------------------------------
> >>   Once i select that option in lilo's prompt, appears an error message
> >>advicing that there's non-system disk and when I press a key, it tells
me
> >>that there isn't an active partition (or something like that). Win98
> >>is correctly installed (when it's in /dev/hda1, it works):
> >>
> >>         Disk /dev/hdd: 32 heads, 63 sectors, 524 cylinders
> >>         Units = cylinders of 2016 * 512 bytes
> >>
> >>   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> >>/dev/hdd1   *         1       524    528160+   b  Win95 FAT32
> >>
> >>   Somebody knows what is happening?

Why is win98 at hdd? if it can be at hdb, put it there.

> > I doubt that will happen without a totally different boot manager...
Even
> > then, I'm not sure that it will overcome the limitation of the fact that
> > Windows was installed on the drive (when the drive was the primary
master)
> > and you're wanting to move that drive to secondary slave.

The map-drive directives take care of that.

> > Part of the problem is the fact that the windows drive master boot
record
> > (MBR) still points to the primary master (/dev/hda1 in linux terms)
> > because that's where everything was when the drive/windows was
installed.
> > Even with the map-drive parameters in lilo.conf, the MBR of the windows
> > drive is still pointing to the MASTER device of the SECONDARY channel
> > (which may even be a cdrom drive, or a another non-bootable hard disk
> > drive). An answer as complicated as the miracle you're trying to
> > accomplish. :)

Where did you get this idea?

> > Even with re-installation of Windows, Windows will insist on storing
> > system files on the primary master ( That's microsoft for you ). On the
> > other hand, the linux configuration can be modified in such a way as to
> > facilitate it's migration from being on the primary master to the
> > secondary slave... allowing you to keep both filesystems (windows/linux)
> > intact.

Agreed. So don't reinstall windows. hda will be taken over.

> You will have better luck putting your Windows drive as slave on the
> primary IDE controller (/dev/hdb).  In fact the BIOS drive re-mapping you
> show in your lilo.conf has it there.

It should better be there, but the remapping shows no such thing.

> You do NOT want the loader or alias lines in your Windows part of
lilo.conf.

The alias wont hurt. The loader is really weird, I agree.

Eric

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest