On Wednesday, January 1, 2014 5:54:20 PM UTC-5, Siarhei Siamashka wrote:

> <snip>

I myself still see no good reason for using any governor other than
> "performance" when running with a wall connected power plug. Poor
> default cpufreq behaviour is a major performance pitfall for
> inexperienced users and it totally kills desktop responsiveness.
>
> We may introduce a new customized cpufreq governor and set it by
> default. The users can always change the cpufreq settings to whatever
> they want.
>
> Moreover, as a temporary solution, I would probably even advocate
> setting the "performance" cpufreq governor for linux-sunxi kernels
> by default (for the linux defconfigs). Do we have many tablet users,
> who are running linux instead of android and also need good battery
> life (have no usb ports or chargers nearby for providing power)?
>
> I believe that a minimum setting of 408MHZ with the "interactive" governor
works quite well.  This governor raises the CPU clock much faster than
ondemand, and 408MHz seems to be a spot where the SoC will power down a lot
of blocks when idle.

Also, perhaps the minimum setting should be 1GHz at boot time and not
dropped until the UI is up and running, since this affects the overall boot
speed by quite a bit, and that's the first impression any user gets of a
distro -- how long it takes to get my login prompt or splash screen.