On Sunday, January 5, 2014 7:13:06 PM UTC-5, Roman Mamedov wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Jan 2014 16:01:20 -0800 (PST)
> Patrick Wood <patric...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> > Also, my experience with performance on the A10 devices over the last
> two
> > years has shown me that ondemand is a really terrible governor, as it
> > doesn't boost the CPU frequency unless utilization has been high over an
> > extended period
>
> This is easily tunable via knobs mentioned at
> http://linux-sunxi.org/Cpufreq
>
> Specifically you want to reduce the up_threshold, in the example on that
> page
> the frequency will be boosted as soon as the CPU utilization even touches
> 25%.
> Not "high over extended period", is it? And then if an issue arises that
> it
> drops back too quickly, that can be tuned by changing
> sampling_down_factor.

Yes, but most people don't bother to read that. In fact, most people don't
know about the cpu governors; they just complain about performance.  The
default settings for ondemand are obviously poor for non-battery use.
 Also, none of these knobs helps boot times.

> > so even programs that are CPU bound don't cause it to
> > switch if they spend just a little time reading or writing data.
>
> Set io_is_busy to 1, and even time spent reading or writing data (in
> iowait)
> will count as "CPU load" for the purposes of frequency switching.

See comment above.

> >  interactive is much better at increasing the CPU clock even on
> relatively
> > small changes in demand.
>
> My guess is that people tend to invent crazy new obscure governors mostly
> because they didn't spend any time reading documentation for the existing
> ones
> (and how to properly configure them for the usage scenario at hand).

See comment above.  The current default governor (ondemand) and/or its
default settings need to be changed.

Pat