On Sun, 2014-03-30 at 14:26 +0200, Olliver Schinagl wrote:
> > That said the sorts of random crashed you've been posting sound a lot
> > like either a DRAM issue or overheating. Either of which could be down
> > to u-boot setting up something wrong or bad hardware I suppose.
> Overheating, maybe. It feels hottish to the touch, but can hold a finger
> on it without any problem whatsoever. Not close to the pain point. So I
> estimate < 50 C? Shouldn't be reason to be concerned imo.

Doesn't sound like it.

> Power might be the problem, i see the input voltage under heavy load
> drop to 4.65 Volts @ 0.9 amps

Could be that.

> > Have you checked the checksum of the tarball you are extracting and
> > tried unpacking it on a known good system?
> The sha1sum matches, calculated on the board, so that's good. xz -d
> completed successfully!
>
> tar xvf fails however, with a big ass 5 page long oops.

I'd have thought that xz -d would be *far* more CPU intensive and
therefore liable to cause issues than tar xvf. If you were using
spinning rust rather than an SSD then I would be inclined to suspect the
power draw, but with you using an SSD I'm just not sure.

Ian.