[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> once all the call_usermodehelper() invocations became asynchronous,
> such guarantees disappeared.

Oh, yeah, silly me.

>From that perspective, *any* user mode policy handler is going to have
that kind of race, simply because the device remove may get executed
(in a user mode program that may be scheduled arbitrarily) before the
add for the very same device.

All that is needed is an ordering guarantee between add and remove.
Perhaps the kernel should queue the remove until the add for the same
physical device completes?

Well, I still like my REMOVER patch as it works well enough for the
case I'm working with (that can cope with these glitches.) At least now
there is something on the table that can be improved upon.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]              But I have promises to keep,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            and lines to code before I sleep,