Stephen Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> > USB initialization needs to be a lot earlier than that, so USB input
> > devices can be used for system maintenance if necesarry (like fscks,
> > interactive startup of services etc)
>
> Well, yeah. But what does this have to do with the hotplug scripts?

Events for plugged-in devices are generated when the usb modules are
loaded - so it's run very early.

> I even see in the rc.sysinit that I have (RedHat 7.0 on an alpha)
> that various USB modules are loaded in order to get HID working.
> That's fine.
>
> The /etc/rc.d/init.d/hotplug script is called much later.

It's not called at all...

> > The root filesystem is remounted rw in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
> > or equivilent, and the hotplug startup is called after that.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> > No.
>
> No?

"hotplug startup is called after that" - we don't. Since the
initilization of usb can cause some machines to crash, we don't run
those initscripts.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.