[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> USB initialization needs to be a lot earlier than that, so USB input
> devices can be used for system maintenance if necesarry (like fscks,
> interactive startup of services etc)

Well, yeah. But what does this have to do with the hotplug scripts?
I even see in the rc.sysinit that I have (RedHat 7.0 on an alpha)
that various USB modules are loaded in order to get HID working.
That's fine.

The /etc/rc.d/init.d/hotplug script is called much later. It then
synthesizes add events for all the devices that were loaded earlier,
in case it missed interesting hotplug events.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> No.

No?

  icarus.com[1] % rpm -qf rc.sysinit
  initscripts-5.49-1

Contains...

  # Remount the root filesystem read-write.
  action "Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode: " mount -n -o remount,rw /

/etc/inittab contains:

  # System initialization.
  si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

The /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S01hotplug script is then called with run-level 3
scripts are called. This is supposed to "enable" hotplug, which is
managed by the synthesis I described above.

No?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]              But I have promises to keep,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            and lines to code before I sleep,