Martin Kessler wrote:
Adam Kropelin wrote:
I've attached a rather ugly hack to fix the problem in hid-core. I
don't know if this alone will solve Martin's lockup, but I'm hoping it
does.

I disregarded your earlier patch, don't think it makes sense to patch
too much ;-) I assumed this is what you wanted me to test first. If you
want me to patch apcupsd at the time time, pls drop me a line.

You've done the right thing. The kernel patch should be tested alone. If it does not work, please add the apcupsd (and keep the kernel patch applied) to try them both at once.

Reading
through the previous posts, we tried already not to poll the two values
which generated too short LINEV, LOTRANS reports and I can definitely
say it got better when we did it, but didn't solve the problem
completely.

Yes, that would be consistent with fast back-to-back control transfers causing the lockup. The kernel patch will make transfer bursts happen less often, but they will still happen. That's why I suspect you will also need the apcupsd patch.

I believe one of our tests had also established already that
there is no other processes reading or interfering with the usb port, at
least that was my understanding.

Correct.

We do have quite a bit of voltage fluctuation and black outs
every now and then but also times where power is quite stable perhaps
this change of environment can explain why it takes sometimes days and
sometimes only 20 minutes or so for the error to occur????

That's definitely possible. The problem is very dependant on timing and the faster the reports are polled the more likely the timing is to be right (or wrong, actually).

--Adam