Hay, this is a really good answer. Any chance we can put it on the CLUG
home page (with the other two that are there?) --- who does this? I've
forgotten, but have ccd it to the right address (hopefully).

Tim W

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Sascha Beaumont wrote:

> Basically you've got the choice of two camps, you can go the KDE way or
> the Gnome2 way.
>
> Seeing as how you're already using RH9, and presumably familiar with its
> configuration tools - stick with it. I've heard mixed things about
> RedHat, personally I'm a Debian fan.
>
> Rather that simply setting up one or two boxes to show the staff, have a
> variety of setups on a few computers and let them have a play. Have some
> open documents, etc.
>
> Have a machine running KDE, a machine running Gnome, and their
> respective office suites. Another with OpenOffice. Maybe something with
> wine (pref. cxoffice version), running Office97 for show.
>
> What I would recommend is don't try to get the whole school to change,
> see if you can get half a computer lab done with slightly different
> setups. And let the choice of the students, and staff, speak for itself.
> Or, looking at things in a longer term, dint worry about the front end
> desktops, get your servers unhitched from the applications that are
> holding you back. Ximian Connector (
> http://www.ximian.com/products/connector/) will help with linux exchange
> compatibility.
>
> Get OpenOffice installed on the Windows machines, start subtle. Ditch
> Internet Explorer and install mozilla. Then when you finally move people
> over, they're simple like 'whee the login screen looks new'.
>
> Sascha
>

> On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 07:46, Terry Cole wrote:
> > Folks,
> > With all the MS problems/virus as well as Exchange problems I have been
> > having, I am keen to try a Linux option at our high school.
> > I have RH 9 Web server that performs great, no downtime.
> > I have spoken with our board chair who is also on my side.
> >

> > For workstations and server what OS and Apps should I use?
> > We need 'Office', 'Corel', 'Internet', 'E-mail', 'Publisher'.
> >
> > I want to put a small network together to show the staff.
> >
> > Any suggestions would be great.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Terry Cole
> > Rotorua, New Zealand
> > mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > http://www.cole.gen.nz
> > http://www.websnz.com
> >
> --
> Sascha Beaumont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Tim Wright

Assistant Lecturer
Department of Computer Science
University of Canterbury

"Language, like terrorism, targets civilians and generates fear to
effect political change."

  -- "Collateral Language" John Collins and Ross Glover ed.