On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:40, you wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Andrew Errington wrote:
> > Hey Mahesh, you're in Christchurch!  Get cable, it's great!
>
> ...but is cable cheaper?
Yes.

> Faster?
Probably not, it all depends on how fast you expect
your ADSL to go, and what Cable plan you purchase.

> More reliable?
Only been off twice since roll-out.
Once was a network-wide fault and we were off the 'net for about 4 hours.
The other was something wrong with my connection in the exchange being
intermittent for about 2 days. They had it fixed almost immediately I
mentioned it. Setting up the connection was _absolutely_ hassle free.
I just plugged the Ethernet into the IPCop box, put in the settings and we
were alive in a couple of seconds -- literally -- with a static ip number.

10Gbytes / month at 256kbits download.
90% discount on NZ traffic.

Very generous traffic shaping, the first second or thereabouts is at more or
less full speed. Continuous outgoing speed is set really slow unless you
complain about it, when they bump it up.

Help desk is not particulaly knowledgable, but they do have very
nicely-mannered people doing the work.

Cost?

Cable connection + modem rental + ISP facilities + Two phone lines ~= $117
( That's approximate and iirc )

I'm a very happy Telstra / Saturn Internet customer.

--
Sincerely etc.,
Christopher Sawtell