On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 17:18, Christopher Sawtell wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:40, you wrote:
> > ...but is cable cheaper?
> Yes.

Yes - I agree.  Only cable has the "national traffic costs 1/10 of what
international traffic costs"

> > Faster?
> Probably not, it all depends on how fast you expect
> your ADSL to go, and what Cable plan you purchase.

There are currently only two cable plans - 2 Mbit with a 1 Gb cap and
256 Kbit with a 5 Gb cap.

I'm still on 128 Kbit with a 10 Gb cap, but that plan is no longer
offered.

> > More reliable?
> Only been off twice since roll-out.
> Once was a network-wide fault and we were off the 'net for about 4 hours.
> The other was something wrong with my connection in the exchange being
> intermittent for about 2 days. They had it fixed almost immediately I
> mentioned it. Setting up the connection was _absolutely_ hassle free.
> I just plugged the Ethernet into the IPCop box, put in the settings and we
> were alive in a couple of seconds -- literally -- with a static ip number.

Likewise... cable internet was up and running in minutes.  Cable TV took
weeks cos of a "bad batch of decoders" but thats par for the course
apparently.

> 10Gbytes / month at 256kbits download.
> 90% discount on NZ traffic.

HTF did you get a 10 Gb cap at 256 Kbit?

> Help desk is not particulaly knowledgable, but they do have very
> nicely-mannered people doing the work.

And they phone you back! Best mannered and organised helpdesk I've dealt
with (second only to National Bank's helpdesk)