On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 9:02 PM, Aidan Gauland
<aidal...@no8wireless.co.nz> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am about to start university next week, and I do not like either KDE or
> GNOME, which is all that is available in Canterbury's C.S. computer labs.  I
> would like to put my favourite window manager on my memory stick, and run it
> in place of the one into which I login.
>
> This raises two problems: how do I switch window managers within an X session
> (without terminating the X session)?  And what filesystem can I put on my
> memory stick that is more UNIX friendly than FAT, but that does not have the
> ext filesystems' problem of confusing the system that mounts it when moving
> between systems with different UIDs?
>
> These are, of course, not huge issues, but I would like to figure this out at
> some point.

you really want to see if this is within the uni's t&c. Just cos they
allow you to login doesn't permit you to run anything you like on
their system.

remember that linux is based heavily on respect for terms of use.
without that the gpl would not be worth the bits and bytes it's
written in!