I would think that most any of them would work. You may have to do a
kernel recompile to enable ide=scsi and set it up in lilo or grub.  But
the main thing about getting a new CDRW is to check the buffer size.
Most of the drives have a 2 or 4 MB buffer size. Some have an 8MB or
larger.  The Larger the buffer the better. Helps prevent coasters and the
larger buffered CDRW's  seem to burn faster.

Ray

On 18 Feb 2002, at 19:50, Tim Wunder wrote:

> I know... this has been hashed out before, but technology changes. I need
> to replace my old Yamaha SCSI CD-RW with a new one, probably IDE (once I
> straighten out my filesystem and get rid of the 2.4GB drive). I mosied
> over to my local Best Buy here in Baltimore, and have these fine choices:
> Digital Research Technologies: 24x, $100 Samsung: 24x, $110 Buslink: 24x,
> $100 LG Int'l: 12x, $130 (24x, $180??) Acer: 24x, $130
>
> None, except the LG Int'l (slackware), say they support linux.
> All speeds referenced are Write speeds.
>
> Anybody have any opinions on these brands?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

> info, Archives,and Digests are located at the above URL.

Ray & Nancy Plummer
Copper, Elektra & WOK
http://www.nanray.cjb.net/gsdped/gsdbintro.html