On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:29:07 -0500
begin  Tim Wunder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed forth:

> I am in need of some enlightenment. What is the purpose of procmail and
> how does it relate to sendmail?

your e-mail client (looks like you're using Mozilla mail): MUA (mail user
agent) -- it picks up mail via pop3 or imap (or reads from an mbox file)
and sends outgoing mail to your MTA.

sendmail: MTA (mail transport agent) -- it talks to other MTAs to deliver
mail on the Internet.

procmail: MDA (mail delivery agent or local delivery agent) -- takes mail
from sendmail and puts it in users mbox  (this could also be deliver or
other agents)

You want to use procmail (see below)

> What I want to do is filter out spam, especially for my youngest, who is
> fast approaching 10 years of age (man, I'm getting old...). So, for
> that, I assume that I need procmail. But, if I start using procmail,
> what happens to the mail that sendmail distributes to
> /var/spool/mail/<user>? Doesn't procmail process the mail and put it in
> /home/<user>/mbox? Or can I control where procmail puts stuff? If I use
> procmail to process the mail, can I still retrieve it via POP from the
> Internet? Is there a better way to process the mail to remove spam?

Go to Freshmeat and search on razor.  Look for Vipul's razor.  Install it
and create an /etc/procmailrc as per the directions.  This will do wonders
for killing 95%+ of your spam problem.

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
                -- Nemesis Racing Team motto