--- Stew Benedict <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Net Llama wrote:
>
> > The only thing is a reference to the memory range to exclude in
> > config.opts, which i already got by default in the pcmcia-cs RPM
> that
> > came with YellowDog.
> >

> Don't know if input from the "buggy" distro is welcome, but I don't

Which distro might that be?  I'll take input from anywhere at this
point, i'm kinda desperate.

> recall
> seeing the ranges/ports you are using. As another datapoint I use:
>
> # System resources available for PCMCIA devices
>
> include port 0x1000-0x1fff
> include memory 0x90000000-0x9003ffff

Hrmm...that's interesting, and completely different from the
recommendation here:
http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/doc/PCMCIA-HOWTO-2.html#ss2.4

But, since the recommendation in the HOWTO hasn't worked, i'll gladly
try yours.

> On my Powerbook Lombard. I've succesffuly used a modem, ethernet card,
> Compact Flash, and most recently, a firewire adapter.

That's encouraging.

> For the PPC build I override the normal PCMCIA defaults with these
> values,
> with a patch.

patch?  Where did you get this patch?  Is there more to it than just
those memory & port values?

> Did you isolate the source of your disk corruption? Just curious as I
> had
> a serious run of similar behaviour around 2.4.16 on my build machine.

Nope, never figured it out.  I was forced to reinstall the last time it
occured, because all of /etc was wiped out, and i'm not aware of any PPC
compatible linux boot disks.  It happened within the first few hours of
my first two installs, and since my latest install dates back to Monday
morning, it seems to have either mysteriously gone away on its own, or
not yet cropped up again.  If it does occur again, i'm going to assume
some kind of hardware problem, since i'm using the default kernel that
came with YDL, and there aren't any other reports of such a problem.

=====