My wife has to have aol email. Non-negotiable.

I have failed to get netscape 6.2 in linux to work with aol email.

If I want to stay with her current wintel computer, win4lin is an
alternative.  I would like to install a new version of linux (self
configuring and all that) and have her run win4lin off the server.
However, I have having some issues with running win4lin (and other things,
too.) as a remote X session. I suppose I could install linux, then
win4lin, then windows on her computer, but that all seems like way
too much work.  Also, I would feel duty bound to buy another copy of
win4lin. The lowest ball arrangement would be to set up her wintel box
as a diskless client. However, that could be a configuration headache. I
would likely break my current ltsp server in the process.

But, I guess the itch I really need to scratch is getting one of
those fancy iMACS. I really don't need a very sophisticated file sharing
arrangement between the iMAC and the linux server. I just want to be
able to backup up her hard drive and store mp3's on a server.  So, if
the iMAC can talk to the linux server, whether with AppleTalk or samba,
that would be fine with me.

I don't know much about MOL. If is like win4lin, I wouldn't be too enthused
about it because win4lin, while doing everything as advertised (It really
does work.) can't do everything you can do in a native windows session, like
play games.

Joel