You can do this if you have the right sort of ADSL contract.  I have
"enhanced adsl" which means 5 static IP addresses, and each host
picks one.  What you label "internet" is a direct connection to a
router that knows to forward my 5 IP numbers down that pipe.

With a basic ADSL setup, you probably don't get static IPs, so you
get one each time you connect.  Perhaps multiple machines can get
one apiece.  This depends on the ISP.  Some of them register your
MAC addresses, and won't allow this.  However, you can replace the
hub with one of the commercially available Cable/DSL routers and
get the same effect without the ISP being able to tell.  I got
one by Linksys (because it also helps secure Windoze systems) from
Office Depot for under US$100.

++ kevin

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 01:20:26PM +0800, m.w.Chang wrote:
> I have seen people claiming that one could share the internet link that
> way.
>
> internet
> adsl/cable modem
>    hub -- workstations
>     |____ server
>
> I just wonder:
>
> 1. how one should configure the linux to make that possible?
>     Create a "virtual" ppp/eth device that talks
>     to the adsl-modem via the hub?
>
> 2. is it secured to do so?

Kevin O'Gorman  (805) 650-6274  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Permanent e-mail forwarder:  mailto:Kevin.O'[EMAIL PROTECTED]
At school: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~kogorman/index.html
Web: http://kosmanor.com/~kevin/index.html

"Life is short; eat dessert first!"