I am more interested in the technical software detail of how to make
that diagram work. do I need extra linux packages? which how-to would
cover that? Connecting a adsl-modem to a hub and have the server remote
controlling it over the hub beats my basic understanding of internet
connection sharing.

I suppose the adsl-modem must be quite intelligent it it's to be able to
talk to a hub...must it also have router function? In that case, I
misunderstood...